Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Gearing up for Wheel Well Rust Repair!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM
1 Year Member
Default Gearing up for Wheel Well Rust Repair!!

hey all,

So today I decided to tackle the infamous wheel well rust problem. Luckily its not through rust, just surface and metal warping...Id rather do the permanent fix, but body shops around here want around 1000 dollars for welding in a new panel and painting and Im broke so thats probably not an option. SOOO now Ive decided to do a temporary fix. Here's my plan for the weekend: (tell me if theres something I should do to improve the plan)

1. Jack the car up and remove wheel and inner plastic well (anything else to remove to get better access?)

2. Grind off remaining paint and surface rust, both front and backside of panel, sand areas

3. Apply naval jelly to heavier rust spots and scrub with wire brush, Rinse, blow dry

4. Repeat step 3 until desired effect is achieved

5. Using wood blocks and ball peen hammer, reform lip to wheel well curve.

6. Rinse and blow area dry

7. Prime wheel well lip and inner panel

8. Paint wheel well lip with Dupli-Color Perfect-Match WA9260 Victory Red and use undercoat on panel backside

9. Apply Clear-coat

10. Wet sand with 800, 1200, 2000 grit to achieve match to surrounding areas

11. Polish and wax repaired area to finish and protect paint

I think doing this will blend with the rest of the car very well and will at least slow the cancer if not stop it or isolate it. Ive done a few painting projects over the years and am confident in my abilities to do this the right way, however I am open to suggestions as to how to make this job easier?!?!