Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Default Gauges

Hi all,

Im having some trouble with the speedometer in my 04. The needle seems to be getting stuck, and will not reset it self. it keeps going up untill its almost done a full circle of the gauge!! Now i can cycle the car from off to on, and it will go closer to 0 each time untill it reaches. WTF??

Also ive read how you cant use a supercharged cluster in a non SC/SS, but what about the other way around? Can i use a gauge cluster with a volt gauge in it, and just forget about the boost gauge? I only ask this because i have a nice jeff gordon edition cluster to use and if my cluster is fubar'd i'd allready have a replacement.

Another question is besides the A-pillar is there anywhere else you have mounted a 2-1/16 gauge in your SS? I dont really know where else to put them.

Thanks for your input,

Chuck

Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Gauges

Check my cardomain sight. I've installed 1 1/2" guages in the center of my dash, in the bottom bay of my double din radio deck mount. My Pioneer CD deck is in the top mount.
The factory guages are 1 1/2". The supercharged cars have a boost guage where a n/a car has a voltmeter. I wanted my voltmeter back with $$$$ in electronics added. I also added the tran's temp guage also, to compliment the AC Delco aux' trans' cooler that's been added.
I'm not a fan of A pillar guage pods.
I'm hoping to have my instrument guage cluster lights changed to blue LEDs to compliment the center cluster. Here is a link to the guy that does that:
http://bbengineer.home.comcast.net/~bbengineer/cars/impala/store.htm
I am wondering the same thing about the n/a cluster working, as I have an '02 Intimidator cluster I bought for the speedo' overlay.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM

The 2 clusters are completely different but I beleive the wiring harness is the same. You might be able to take apart the clusters and use components if you are inclined to try.

You could also just plug it in and see what happens, I don't think there would be any shorting problems.

Otherwise see if you could pull the spedo gauge out of the Jeff Gordon one and try that or better yet see if you can get one off ebay or a boneyard.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The speedo is just an overlay. The cluster comes apart easily, and you pull the needle off and put the new face in and, well not quite that easy, but that's about it. The tricky part is calibrating it. If you put the needle on stopped, it will be wrong. Take it out and drive it at a specific RPM and write down the speeed and RPM. When you put the needle back on, drive it at that same RPM on cruise, and with a buddy's help steering, re-install the speedo needle at the right speed.
That's how I've been told how to do it. I wiil install mine someday, maybe. I have personal reasons why I haven't, yet.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 PM

OK well now the needle is stuck @ 70 MPH. What does this? i guess ill actually have to take my car to the dealer....