Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gauge Cluster Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Default Gauge Cluster Issues

I took my 2001 SS in to have a tranny leak fixed. The Tranny had to be dropped because it was the side case that was leaking and needed a new gasket. The guy called me to say it was ready, then called back 15min later to tell me that the gauge cluster was not working and wanted to know if I had brought it in that way. The backlights work, there are no blown fuses, and also my DRLs do not work. Does anyone have an idea of what the heck happened? This guy knows nothing about fixingelectrical problems so hesent it to another shop (without my consent) but that is another issue. I installed aCD reciever about 7 months ago butI used the wire harness from Peripheral Electronics and never had a issue with the gauges not wowrking. I am stumped at this point and I want to get my car back,I have been without her for over a week now

Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Gauge Cluster Issues

The 2 shouldn't have any relation to each other unless he when he dropped the transmission he didn't plug in the harnesses there. But even in that case it shouldn't kill the cluster. I do know that there are a few problems where the clusters just go out though. Mine did on my 04 and needed to be replaced.

If it is a dead cluster, you might just hit Ebay and get one on the cheap vs buying a new one.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Default RE: Gauge Cluster Issues

I guess the only question I have is why would my DRLs stop working at the same time, is there a circuit for the DRLs that runs through the gauge cluster? This is one thing I do NOT like about newer cars, all the electricalcomponents areintegrated with each other [:@]