Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Default Gauge cluster

I did a search but didn't really find an answer to this. I want to make the gauges on my '00 SS light up red at night instead of just lighting up white. Can I just change the bulbs to red ones or do I have to get an overlay? And if I have to get an overlay, where can I get one? I can't find them anywhere.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Gauge cluster

Yep, go to the third section down on this website

http://bbengineer.home.comcast.net/~bbengineer/cars/impala/store.htm

Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM

Hi `Chris,
Thanks for helping a fellow member. Good Site.
That's a super link on the subject...Did you change yours
in your Monte ?

Click Image to Enlarge[/align]Peace/Out...`Space[/align][/align]

Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the link. So I just have to replace the bulbs behind the cluster to make it light up a different color like in Space's pic? I plan on putting red LEDs in to match my red under-dash LED bars and the red buttons on my Alpine CDA-9855. And I plan on replacing the stock floor light bulbs with red ones so that white light doesnt drown out my red light when I open the door.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Let us know how it goes. I want to change mine to blue.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 PM

I'd like to change them space, but if you read their info on it

The instrument cluster has non-serviceable backlighting bulbs that have a tendency to burn out. Upgrading to LEDs ensures a much longer life and offers the opportunity for a custom color or look that will make your vehicle stand out. LEDs are available in Red, White, or Blue standard (other colors available on special order) and are included as part of the upgrade service. Gauge overlays add a unique look to any cluster. They are available in white, silver, red, orange, and yellow (price does not include overlays, labor only) When swapping in a new cluster, the mileage must be transferred from the original cluster to the new one. In order to perform the mileage transfer, a disclaimer must be completed, signed and mailed in prior to the work being completed.

So they must be the same as the heater/cd lights and they are lights that are on a board maybe? I'm not sure if they are just bulbs?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 PM

I'd like to change them space, I have changed all my lights to red lights and added a few red lights, but the dash is still all white. but if you read their info on it

The instrument cluster has non-serviceable backlighting bulbs that have a tendency to burn out. Upgrading to LEDs ensures a much longer life and offers the opportunity for a custom color or look that will make your vehicle stand out. LEDs are available in Red, White, or Blue standard (other colors available on special order) and are included as part of the upgrade service. Gauge overlays add a unique look to any cluster. They are available in white, silver, red, orange, and yellow (price does not include overlays, labor only) When swapping in a new cluster, the mileage must be transferred from the original cluster to the new one. In order to perform the mileage transfer, a disclaimer must be completed, signed and mailed in prior to the work being completed.

So they must be the same as the heater/cd lights and they are lights that are on a board maybe? I'm not sure if they are just bulbs?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM

I dunno if you guys know about this place, but I was checking out ordering up some guages from these guys.

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...auto-Chevy.htm

They have tons of way to design your guages. Its a bit more of an expensize route, but its still a sweet idea i think.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM

Very cool link, Farfig. But your right it is expensive so I think I will be going the route of just replacing my white LEDs with red ones if that will work.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Epic

I'd like to change them space, I have changed all my lights to red lights and added a few red lights, but the dash is still all white. but if you read their info on it

That first line that you highlighted had me worried at first but if you look at the next line

"Upgrading to LEDs ensures a much longer life and offers the opportunity for a custom color or look..."

It would lead you to believe that the stock bulbs can be replaced with colored LEDs...at least that's what I hope is the case because that would be a lot cheaper than buying those $90 custom overlays.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster