Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

gas guage problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Question gas guage problem

Hey im new to this website and didnt find much about this problem with this car so i was wondering if you guys could help me out! i drive a 2001 monte carlo LS and my gas guage works untill it his a little below half a tank then its all over the place.. goes from full to empty and fluctuates.. id be interested in seeing if its gonna be a expensive fix or not couse i have just been driving with the trip and it would be nice to have fixed if it wont be to hard. Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 AM

I had the same problem and there are a couple of solutions (including mine) that have been posted. The problem is the connections on the sending unit that of course is located in the tank and is part of the fuel pump. I repaired mine at no cost and about 2 hrs. of my time. I have a 2001 also and if you are willing to do it yourself access to the pump is thru the trunk floor right behind the rear seats and you can sit in the back seat to pull the pump. There are some very detailed instructions that are posted check them out and you can decide what you want to do. Good Luck

Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Lightbulb Gauge cluster

Hello, I have an 04, so I'm not positive this applies to you but worth checking.
I had the same problem with my gas gauge, it came and went for about a year (also suspected various components of the fuel system but no luck). At that point it finally failed completely, then each of the other gauges began failing until eventually none worked.
The problem is apparently very widespread in different GM models, the stepper motors that drive each gauge are bad. The entire cluster needs to be sent in to be rebuilt, for which my local dealership wanted upwards of $1000 (for the privilege of having them take it out, put it in a box and mail it to somewhere else to be rebuilt…). Did some research and came across Southern Electronics, who specialize in instrument panel repair. I had to get the cluster taken out, but then they have pre-paid shipping labels on their site and the entire thing - parts, labor, 1 year warranty, etc - came in at a whopping $185.
It's been a year and a half and I've had no further problems with the cluster.
Again, I don't know for sure if this is going to apply to your 01, but its well worth your time to check these guys out.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

there is deffianately an issue with the gauge cluster! hopefully what I posted below will help you out??

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impala/clusterlight.htm

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Sbrunelli. i have heard of this done before but i thought you would have to buy another sending unit? could u post a link to the DYI instructions? thanks!

04Intimidator. hmm none of my other guages are fluctuating yet just the gas guageand it doesnt do it all the time.. sometimes it shows the right amount of gas(i think) like if im at a complete stop somtimes it will go to the right spot unless its below half the tank then it shows its full or empty

monte carlo 3831. that might work also if ur talking about the part of recallibrating the guage?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM

I apologize for taking so long to reply, having computer/internet probs.

Actually my gas gauge did the same thing. I probably started noticing that over a year before the rest of the gauges went. It was also off and on, sometimes months would go by without any issue. But when it finally went, the rest went pretty quickly - like within a matter of a month I was driving w/ a GPS so I knew how fast I was going. That was the other scary part, when the speedo went it didn't go gracefully, I didn't catch it until one day when I was flying up on someone's bumper - again - and the speedo said '45'. Finally dawned on me what was happening, I thought I figured out appx how far it was off but it kept fluctuating. We also thought it might be the sending unit and different things, put some fuel injector cleaner through it (I can't remember all of the details with that but had it done at a garage and supposedly it was really strong stuff). Once the cluster was repaired, everything has worked like a charm.

Definitely go with your gut and do what you think is best, I would just keep this in the back of your head in case you start noticing other goofy things happening.

Also just FYI - some cars can still be driven without the cluster (and still keep the correct odometer reading). But I would ask an expert before doing it, I went through the guys that did the rebuild.

Good Luck!