Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gas Gauage / Sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Gas Gauage / Sending unit

Hello guys, Ive got an "issue" with my fuel gauge / sending unit. When the gas slauses back n forth while driving the gas gauge will go from EMTPTY to 3/4 tank and back and forth FAST ! its not a constant slow moving needle. Its like the baffle in the tank is missing. When I park the car LEVEL the gauge will read 1/2 tank. IF I shake the car, it will go to empty and stay there until I move the car again, so basically I HAVE NO CLUE on how much fuel I have in the tank. I ordered a new SENDING unit for it and was wondering how hard are these to install? Ive heard HARD to very easy. ANY tips would help greatly... thanks...MJ

Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 AM

Its going to involve dropping the gas tank. You best bet is to wait until your out of gas or almost out of gas. I personally would replace the whole fuel pump module instead of just the sending unit assembly. I know 2 times where I replaced just the sender in a customers car (both gm's) and they came back a month later with a bad fuel pump. You'll spend a little more now but it will save you a headache later

Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Default fuel pump

Originally Posted by labnjab
Its going to involve dropping the gas tank. You best bet is to wait until your out of gas or almost out of gas. I personally would replace the whole fuel pump module instead of just the sending unit assembly. I know 2 times where I replaced just the sender in a customers car (both gm's) and they came back a month later with a bad fuel pump. You'll spend a little more now but it will save you a headache later

Thanks... After you said that, I agree, Might as well do it all at one time...
I bought the whole unit and that SHOULD fix er up. Im also going to replace the fuel filter as well. and going to run 93 octane only (I bought an extra computer that Im having "flashed" for better performance) I also am going to replace the spark plugs out, what ones would you recommend? I dont want a cheapo plug, I want the one that will preform the BEST for this car.... thanks again...MJ

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Default fuel pump

I was told on a diff forum here that the unit can be replaced without pulling the tank. Their is an access panel in the trunk under the carpet. Im hopping they are right (havent looked yet) It will be a bummer if I do have to pull the tank.... thanks...MJ

Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Unfortunantly your gonna have to drop the tank. I think only the bigger buicks had the access.

If your N/A I would just go with delco platinum plugs

Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Default Spark Plugs...

Unfortunantly your gonna have to drop the tank. I think only the bigger buicks had the access.

If your N/A I would just go with delco platinum plugs
Just wondering what "N/A" meant. I want to buy the BEST plug I can for the engine proformance as well as fuel milage. An all around good plug. Even if it costs a bit more, I would think in the long run the engine would run "cleaner" with a good plug. I may be wrong, its just my way of thinking (and Im NOT that smart when it comes to this stuff, thats why I ASK QUESTIONS from the people who DO know what they are talking about...) Mike

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Thanks for all the info... I have the exact same problem on my '02... Took it to a shop I trust, and they informed me it is an $850.00 to $1,000.00 (CDN) repair... Once I got up off the floor I asked for alternatives and he suggested a fuel pump cleaner from GM ($26.99 CDN)... I've put it in on a full tank of gas and am awaiting the results, will post... In the mean time I use my "Litres Used" display and fill-up when I get near 40 litres used as the diplay is not super accurate... Good luck and let us know just how difficult or easy it was... Thanks,

Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MJClemm
Just wondering what "N/A" meant. I want to buy the BEST plug I can for the engine proformance as well as fuel milage. An all around good plug. Even if it costs a bit more, I would think in the long run the engine would run "cleaner" with a good plug. I may be wrong, its just my way of thinking (and Im NOT that smart when it comes to this stuff, thats why I ASK QUESTIONS from the people who DO know what they are talking about...) Mike
N/A means naturally aspirated, no supercharger or turbo. N/A cars can use a platinum plug where a modified boosted car does better with copper plugs. A plug really isn't going to give you a gain in performance, but an ac delco platinum is good replacement and will last around 100,000 miles.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Verdam
Thanks for all the info... I have the exact same problem on my '02... Took it to a shop I trust, and they informed me it is an $850.00 to $1,000.00 (CDN) repair... Once I got up off the floor I asked for alternatives and he suggested a fuel pump cleaner from GM ($26.99 CDN)... I've put it in on a full tank of gas and am awaiting the results, will post... In the mean time I use my "Litres Used" display and fill-up when I get near 40 litres used as the diplay is not super accurate... Good luck and let us know just how difficult or easy it was... Thanks,
Yea, I have the same problem with my 03. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet because I don't have the money, but I have been using the "Gallons Used" screen on the trip computer and turns out, it's not accurate at all. I usually reset it every time I fill up. I was at around 12 gallons used, and was planning on filling up the next day thinking I have a couple gallons left. Turns out, it was empty as I was coasting to the side of the road. Yea, I need to get it fixed soon :P

Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM

i have the same problem on my 01 LS. i am no expert but i did look at changing my sending unit. in my trunk, you get in the back seats and put the backs down and pull the carpet apart in the trunk(theres a velcro strip down the middle) its under that. its got like 8 little bolts and then ur there!