Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Default Fuel Smell

Hello, I need some help here. I just recently had and EGR replaced on my '02 Monte because about two weeks ago because my CEL was on and that's what the test indicated. Well, the CEL didn't go out so the mechanic told me to bring it in and he would clean out the lines more. This is what he told me he would do. Well that didn't solve the problem and now it's indicating an insufficient flow to the EGR valve and to top it off, now I smell fuel outside the vehicle after driving. Does anyone have any opinions on what is going on? This is driving me crazy. I don't know if this guy knows what the hell he's doing or if he's trying to nickel and dime me to death and replace things that don't need to be replaced. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM

What codes did the mechanic pull? Since you've got a CIEL I'd start there just to double check.
Where does the fuel smell seem to be the strongest? Near the fuel cap, near the engine, etc?
Is this an independent mechanic or a dealer?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Default Fuel Smell

Hi Aaron,

Now, it says insufficient flow to EGR and this is an independent mechanic. I will be taking my car elsewhere. Not to go into too much detail, I'm becoming suspicious for various reasons with this guy. The fuel smell is on the driver's side, outside the vehicle. It seems to be towards the rear. There is no leaking of gas anywhere. I put my nose up to the gas cap and the smell is not there. It's when I open the door to get out of the car and sniff towards the rear of the vehicle. I am taking it to another mechanic on Friday since I live in NY and have to have my vehicle inspection by the end of the month. I am just wondering now if the EGR was okay and it was something else that was causing the EGR malfunction. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you were getting an EGR code then something in that circuit (or the EGR itself) is malfunctioning. Insufficient flow is usually caused be a restriction in the EGR pipe. It wouldn't hurt to check the connector to insure there isn't a problem on the electrical side of things.

The gas smell could be coming from an undetectable leak at the fuel pump or (more likely) the tank has been topped off numerous times and the charcoal canister has fuel in it.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Default Fuel Smell

Thank you. Taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at by a different mechanic.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Well, the fuel smell was a bad fuel filter so I had that replaced. The insufficient flow to EGR problem was diagnosed by this mechanic as "needing upper intake removed to clean carbon out." It will cost me $375. Does that sound right or does it sound like I am getting shafted again? Thanks.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Where is the connector to check for electrical issue? Thanks.