Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Rail and Injectors on 3.4

Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Default Fuel Rail and Injectors on 3.4

Hello, new here and needing some help. Working on a 2001 Monte Carlo with a 3.4 engine. Replaced lower intake gaskets and re-installed lower intake. Upon trying to seat the fuel rail I can't get all of the injectors to seat completely. If I get the three injectors on the front to seat then the three on the rear is not seated and vice versa. I've tried twisting the injectors different directions thinking that maybe I twisted them while moving them around while working on the car. Then I thought maybe I bent the fuel rail getting it off the intake so I get another rail and it's doing the same thing. Nothing is in the way and nothing is hitting the fuel rail tubes or wires. It's like the rail is bent or warped but I know it's not. I can't figure this out and have been fighting this for two and half days. So my question is does the injectors need to seat completely in the holes where you can't see any of the shiny part of the injector? I would think that the injectors need to be seated all the way until they bottom out on the lip of the injector above the shiny part above the o-ring.

Can anyone advise if I'm doing something wrong or is there a trick to seating all the injectors?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance with this.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:31 AM

Well I know the few times Ive had mine off theyre pretty tight fitting..

Just make sure you oil up the o-rings and give them a swift shove and they should pop into place..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure you are using new injector o-rings (if you are not, you may not have a good seal with the old ones). Depending on how you removed the fuel rail, you may have bent/twisted the bracing that holds the two sides together, causing this rocking effect. I would check for that and if you did bend it, see if you can gently bend it to get rid of that rocking. As mentioned, use a little oil on the o-rings to help them seat.

My experience is that typically the injectors seat in pretty snug, to remove them requires some effort. I have had to use a rubber mallet ones in a while to help seat the 3100/3400 injectors (not big hits, just some tapping).

Search this Thread