Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fuel pump replacement 95 z34

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Default fuel pump replacement 95 z34

ok, this is my first time trying this. i need some help. anyone know where i can find for reolacing a fuel pump.also, is there an access panel somewhere to access the top of the fuel tank so i do not have to drop it out? thanks so much for the help....Chris

Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Thumbs up fuel pump replacement

I had to replace the tank on my 98 due to rust pinholes. I believe you DO have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump, I saw no access panel. Once tank is off it's simple to swap pump unit. I hear rust-through is a common issue so don't be surprised if you have some questionable areas when you pull the tank. Hopefully it's not on the lip where the pump unit attaches at the top of tank. Also, you'll need a seal kit with a new O-ring and attachment rings.

It looks harder than it really is though the connectors were a little tricky with just a pair of needle nose pliers. I used a haynes manual and some descriptions on various forums to get me started and it went pretty smooth though definitely no smoking on the job! If I remember correctly you basically drain the tank, support it from below, remove the strap bolts, loosen the filler/return tubes, then drop the front a little until you can reach the fuel line connectors on top/rear of tank. Be prepared to cap/plug these lines so they don't leak fuel all over the place. Once those gas and electric connectors are off you can drop the tank a little more and wiggle or pull it off the filler/return tubes completely. Voila - it's off and you can replace the fuel unit easy. Installation is reverse of removal.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Yep, I believe that's about it. Never tried it, but I did read that section in the manual once. Make sure you've disconnected all the electrical connections/hoses before dropping the tank, or you'll have even more repairs. I think like 98Z34 said, you have to partially drop the tank in order to access some of the connections.