Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel pump issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As this would be the first time tackling such a project I'm looking for something that would be a direct replacement. The pumps above, other then the Delco or Delphi sound like they need a bit of modding. Sounds like the price difference is quality of build and durability? I even found one from Popular Mechanics. Didn't know they were in the parts business. The good news is I located the port in the trunk to access the pump. Now if I can just figure out how to pry the plate off without bending it I'll be on my way towards swapping it out. Does the float need to be adjusted or is the whole unit just a pull and replace type of deal? Thanks guys....

Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM

I've never adjusted my float and it comes out with the can. Just carefully lift the entire unit out and turn it sideways to allow the floater pedal a way out without bending it. If you have problems with your fuel level gauge, now would be a good time to replace the level sensor. As time goes on the contacts wear down and your dash gauge will give false readings. Mine was $20 on ebay.

Try to twist and turn the plate or tap a putty knife under the plate to get it free. I'm not sure what it looks like but I never pry anything unless I have to. Kinda like sticky wall hangers - if you pry them off it'll take half the wall down. If you twist it they come right off.