Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 AM
1 Year Member
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

I have to replace the FPR on my 03 Jeff Gordon Monte that has the 3.8 engine. I was wondering if anyone has done it on the 3.8 before, and can post instructions. I cant seem to find anything on the 3.8 only the 3.4 engine. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Remove the gas cap to relieve the fuel pressure. Press in on the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the UIM.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.

Locate the fuel-pressure regulator, which is on the driver's side of the fuel rail (the pipe that is connected to the fuel injectors). It is at the beginning of the rail, before the injectors. It is round and has a vacuum hose attached to the top and a metal fuel line on the bottom.

Remove the vacuum line from the top of the regulator by pulling it off.

Use two wrenches to remove the fuel line from the bottom of the regulator. Place one wrench on the hex fitting on the bottom of the regulator. Use another wrench to unscrew the fuel line.

Remove the two bolts from the bracket that holds the regulator onto the fuel rail with a ratchet and socket. Pull off the bracket. Remove the regulator.

Place the new regulator in the bracket. Bolt it to the fuel rail. Install the fuel line by hand and tighten it using two wrenches as in Step 5. Push the vacuum hose onto the top of the regulator. Replace the fuel pump fuse.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:00 PM
1 Year Member

Forgive me for asking, but can you please tell me what the Schrader valve is and what UIM stands for? Also you mention to replace the fuel pump fuse at the end, do I have to unplug the fuse before I start the repair? Thanks for the instructions!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:21 PM

15 Year Member

Sorry, thought i removed all fuse plug pull from that. No need to bother with the fuses when you pull the battery cables. That's just an extra precaution not needed.

Schrader valve is a common term for a valve that releases pressure. You have them on your tire valves also. There should be a plastic cap covering it that you unscrew and then just stick a flat-head screwdriver on the schrader valve to relieve pressure in the fuel rail.

UIM = Upper Intake Manifold (the big black plastic intake manifold that the 3800 has)

Hope that helps!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Sorry, thought i removed all fuse plug pull from that. No need to bother with the fuses when you pull the battery cables. That's just an extra precaution not needed.

Schrader valve is a common term for a valve that releases pressure. You have them on your tire valves also. There should be a plastic cap covering it that you unscrew and then just stick a flat-head screwdriver on the schrader valve to relieve pressure in the fuel rail.

UIM = Upper Intake Manifold (the big black plastic intake manifold that the 3800 has)

Hope that helps!
I think I located it? Hard to see where it gets screwed into. Where is best place to get this part? Thanks again for your help with this!

125CD280-E8CE-4BA0-8FDA-5B64BB43196B_zps4qoxnuba.jpg

Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM

15 Year Member

Yep that's the regulator.

I would just grab a new part off rockauto or get the part number there and see if Amazon has it.

I've removed my whole fuel-rail and injectors a number of times (can do it in 30 minutes now), so I would probably just remove the whole rail to do the swap.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 PM
1 Year Member

Is this the part that will work?

More Information for ACDELCO 2173299

I don't see the plastic valve piece that mine currently has on this replacement.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM

15 Year Member

Hmm... looks like they changed part numbers for 2003 compared to my 2000. haha.

This probably sits in the cup, and your valve stays a part of the fuel rail. Looks like it might be 2 pieces

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM

15 Year Member

Yeah... looks like it's 2 pieces and held on with a snap ring.

Check out this website: Daniel Armbrust's webpage

Old 08-24-2016, 04:00 PM
1 Year Member

Ah ok that makes more sense. I'm still a little hesitant on doing this myself... LOL anytime dealing with fuel parts on a injected motor it worries me a little. Got to make sure everything gets seated and sealed right.