Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Frustrated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Default Frustrated!!!

I have been trying to track down a cooling gremlin in my 97 Z34 and so far to no avail. The Haynes manual is not accurate on component locations so far. I changed the emissions purge valve due to a CEL code and it wasn't where Haynes said it was on the 3.4. It was under the plastic "placard" that says 3.4 DOHC rather than by the ignition packs as illustrated. I am looking to check/change my coolant temp sensor and it is not behind the water neck as illustrated and described. I'm checking this because my fans are not coming on. My brother works at a shop so he hooked it up to the computer and triggered the low temp fan and it didn't come on. He triggered the high temp fan and both fans came on. I tested my relays and they all "clicked". now I need to find a way to check the PCM...any ideas? I will also be tracing the wiring. I have a new thermostat, radiator cap and green coolant for now. I was told there was a new water pump installed ( I have only had the car for three weeks).... but today I noticed when thegauge read about 250 degrees, the uppper radiator hose "pulsed" and there seemed to be a clicking noise...possibly the thermostat? WTF could this be? I bled the system and had a pressure test done...no pressure loss. I did not do a flush yet in the event that it is a water pump issue, or anything else that would make me have to reintroduce air to the system,I didn't want to shell out $90 just to drain it all back out again.
If any tech's can help me out I would be GREATLY appreciative. I love my car, but we have gotten off to a rough start.
I searched, but didn't have much luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Default RE: Frustrated!!!

[align=center]Hi `Thomas,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read about the problems that you are having[/align][align=center]with your Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]We have several 5th Gen Monte Owner's that have a lot[/align][align=center]of knowledge/experience.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Be Patience & give them a chance to read your post,[/align][align=center]and respond.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Z34 ?[/align][align=center]Do you know the previous owner to see `if a new water[/align][align=center]pump was installed ?[/align][align=center]Does your brother have more contacts ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish you good luck & a solution to your problem.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Patience is a great virtue
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/530136FD55C345C586FC70326A9F71B1.gif[/IMG]
yeah, yeah, but I want it NOW [:@]

Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 AM

Hi Space,
My Monte is at 147K miles.
The PO said that a water pump was done with a head gasket and intake gasket. I have heard that if the engine gets too hot it can ruin the temp sensor, which is one reason for me to want to check it, to make sure the gauge readings are correct.
Both my brother and myself have very limited time that we are available simultaneously- usually I am very hands on with repairs, but with a manual that can't help me locate parts, it's a rough start. He doesn't have many connections as he's rather new to the business.
Today was the first time I notice a "pulsing" in the upper radiator hose accompanied by the "clicking"
I will try patience, but it seems cooling issues are aplenty with the MC's of this era.
Thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Z34 Phoenix is who you need to talk to...he knows a lot about these motors...look him up on our members list and e-mail or private message him.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 PM

also you can reuse the coolaint in the system IF YOU CATCH IT AND DO NOT GET IT DIRTY WITH ANYTHING .

Also if you have it what i used to do is get a 5 gal. bucket with alid. cut the lid so it has a big hole in the middel of the lid to pour threw.
then get some cheese cloth and doubbel or trippel it up under the lid of a clean 5gal. bucket.
poor the coolant threw the cheese cloth this acts like a good filter to get anything out of it that should not be there etc...

Then you can reuse it and go on with the day.

but if you chose to drian it. put enough to fill the rad in the car.
fire up the car and run it. as the T-stat opens it will suck the stuff in to the block.
and you can put the rest in to the rad a bit at a time.

RUN THE HEAT!! while doing this .