Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Front windshield seal/trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front windshield seal/trim

My 2001 Monte LS has old, dried out window trim that is coming up in the corner. (wasn't leaking though before I moved it into the garage) I did some internet searches, but can't find anything specific on how to replace it.

The windshield is in great shape. what's the process to replace the trim and can it be done in your garage by a layman?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

IMO...This is a job for the pros and their special tools. Here's a video showing the process, not a Monte, but the procedure is similar.

Question: Is the windshield seal/trim really the source of your leak. The urethane caulk used to seal and bond the windshield is tough stuff and rarely leaks.
If your problem is water on the front passenger side floor it might be the very common problem of water leaking through air deflector above the cabin air filter due to a design flaw.

Here's a great thread with pics. posted by our awesome administrator ChibiBlackSheep: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/

Last edited by plumbob; 03-13-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nichols2k
My 2001 Monte LS has old, dried out window trim that is coming up in the corner. (wasn't leaking though before I moved it into the garage) I did some internet searches, but can't find anything specific on how to replace it.

The windshield is in great shape. what's the process to replace the trim and can it be done in your garage by a layman?

Thanks.
The trim around the windshield comes with the new windshield . It wraps around the glass.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 PM

The window isn't leaking, it's just the driver side top corner is torn away (see picture) I hate to replace a perfectly good windshield because of the trim, but if it's best as one piece... not an immediate need anyhow. just research. Thanks!