Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front Wheel Hub Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front Wheel Hub Tools?

I have a 2001 monte carlo SS and I do not know what tools are needed to replace the wheel hub. I have already bought the wheel hub but NO TOOLS. I have the time and space to do the job but NO TOOLS....lol Anyone could help me I will gladly appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, the front, passenger side Wheel Hub is what im I'm replacing.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm guessing you bought a hub and bearing assembly right?
If so basic hand tools are all you need except a torque wrench and the correct size hub nut socket (don't remember the size, 1 1/4 " maybe, can any body help with that)
the bearing flange has 3 bolts that hold it to the knuckle and the one big nut one the outer CV joint. really not a tough job
I have the tools but a little too far away, sorry

Last edited by montes my python; 03-02-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Yep, sure did! I already bought it but now I am wondering what tools I need because when I replace the HUB, I will like to do it right with the PROPER tools at hand. All I know is that (correct me if I am wrong) I need a torque wrench (1/2 and 12" long), 1/2
(36MM Socket), Jack stands (of course) and thats it.....

I'm sure your scraching your head like "huh"...lol

I need all the Directions I can get in order to do this job correct. I am pretty sure it is an easy job but I do enjoy fixing on a car, even if instructions are needed..

Thanks for the reply Python...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM

Removal Procedure Tools Required ^J 28733-B Spindle Remover
1.Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2.Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
3.Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
4.Remove the wheel speed sensor electrical connector from the bracket.
5.Remove the brake caliper bracket with the brake caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (Front) or Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (Rear) in Brakes and Traction Control.
6.Remove the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement (Front) or Brake Rotor Replacement (Rear) in Brakes and Traction Control.
7.Remove the wheel drive shaft nut. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.
8.Use three wheel nuts in order to attach the J 28733-B to the wheel bearing/hub. 9.Use the J 28733-B in order to push the wheel drive shaft out of the wheel bearing/hub.
10.Remove and DISCARD the wheel bearing/hub bolts.
Important: Ensure that the wheel drive shaft outer seal (boot) is not damaged.
11.Remove the wheel bearing/hub.
Installation Procedure 1.Install the wheel bearing/hub.

Caution: These fasteners MUST be replaced with new fasteners anytime they become loose or are removed. Failure to replace these fasteners after they become loose or are removed may cause loss of vehicle control and personal injury.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions

2.Install NEW wheel bearing/hub bolts. Tighten the NEW wheel bearing/hub bolts to 130 Nm (96 ft. lbs.). 3.Install the wheel drive shaft nut. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.
4.Install the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement (Front) or Brake Rotor Replacement (Rear) in Brakes and Traction Control.
5.Install the brake caliper bracket with the brake caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (Front) or Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (Rear) in Brakes and Traction Control.
Important: Ensure that the connector clip engages the bracket properly.
6.Install the wheel speed sensor electrical connector to the bracket.
7.Connect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
8.Install the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
9.Lower the vehicle.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Axle shaft nut torque is 160 nm (118 ft/lb), you'll need a torque wrench that's a little bigger than 12", put a drift pin in the brake rotor fins to keep the axle from turning while tightening the nut, after bolting on the caliper mount bracket

Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 PM

ALL the fellow MC drivers, I really do appreciate this. I will attack the job tomorrow morning and will let you guys know how I did. I really do appreciate it once again!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by rgant_19
ALL the fellow MC drivers, I really do appreciate this. I will attack the job tomorrow morning and will let you guys know how I did. I really do appreciate it once again!!!
Couple other things, if you dont have the shaft removal tool you can use a pulley puller, just clamp over the hub and screw it down. And if your going to work on it tomorrow id go out tonight and seriously soak those three bolts with pb blaster. They where a pain in the rear last time i did one....

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/G...ent/index.html

There is a great link with pictures on how to do the replacement

Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Too alllllllllll the MC drivers who lended me a help (or idea) in conquering this task, I appreciate it beause, guess what? I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL. I can say one thing about hanging a wheel hub, you have to make sure you have ALL your equipment to work with while doing so. I took the written (well put together) instructions that fellow MC driver "Berencam" provided, MC driver "Montes My Python" input and MC driver "ChibiBlackSheep" video link and merge them together. Success is what came out of it. I know one thing, those sockets and rachets are NOT cheap (when it comes to spur of the moment buying) LOL LOL LOL...

Now I can drive and ride in piece instead of that LOUD turbo jet engine sound that was in my car everytime the wheels started rotating....

Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM

how did you know when your hubs went bad?

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub Tools?