Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

front tire fell off

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Default front tire fell off

Hi I'm new to this site & the posted problem led me here for answers. Two weeks ago I took my 04 Monte Carlo to a garage to have a brake inspection & then the front driver side tire fell off because the driver (teenager) was driving with 2 lug nuts. My question is to do a brake inspection does the tire have to be taken off? If so the garage is responsible, they say they can check the brakes from behind on a hoist. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 01-17-2016, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not a professional mechanic by any stretch (just a shade tree mechanic). In my opinion, if you are inspecting the brakes to see how worn they are, even with wheels that expose a lot of the brake system, I believe you are best pulling the wheel. This allows you to stick you head in a good position to view the pad wear. Checking the backside while on a lift is only really going to let you view the condition of the rotor (use of a mirror "might" let you see the pad wear).

No matter what the right answer is for a professional shop, keep in mind, it's going to be difficult to point a finger and have the shop own the issue. There are questions that are difficult to prove and it's mostly a finger pointing game.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. The garage is reviewing video & seem to be working with us but I figured this is the best place to really find out.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

I agree, if you are going to do a Brake Inspection the best way is to view it with out a wheel? Even if they didn't do that when you look at it you would think they would notice a missing lug nut.
Cause they can make money on replacing them.
I had a friend who lost her wheel because of lug nuts loose or missing.
But you should feel that in the wheel when you drive.
Shut the radio off an listen to what the car is telling you.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:56 PM

Wow! Scary situation. It happened to my then teenage son immediately after picking up my car from having had new tires put onto it at a local tire dealer. They took responsibility and paid for damages.

If you are dealing with a garage sophisticated enough to be videotaping their mechanics at work, you'd think they would be properly inspecting brakes during a brake inspection. The above described "holding up a mirror" technique certainly does not sound like a "proper technique" if that is what was done.

Hint: Sometimes having your attorney contact the manager speeds things along in helping to determine legal responsibilities in such matters. Lucky no one was hurt - or at least I hope no one was. This could have resulted in death.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by DonnaAnd
Wow! Scary situation. It happened to my then teenage son immediately after picking up my car from having had new tires put onto it at a local tire dealer. They took responsibility and paid for damages.

If you are dealing with a garage sophisticated enough to be videotaping their mechanics at work, you'd think they would be properly inspecting brakes during a brake inspection. The above described "holding up a mirror" technique certainly does not sound like a "proper technique" if that is what was done.

Hint: Sometimes having your attorney contact the manager speeds things along in helping to determine legal responsibilities in such matters. Lucky no one was hurt - or at least I hope no one was. This could have resulted in death.
Keep in mind that in order to stay safe one would need to be proactive and it only takes a few minutes to chek the things on your care that involve safety. Tire pressure Lug nuts. My lady friend didn't do that and she thought that maybe some one loosened them. But still she should have felt that vibration cause in her 18 mile trip the wheel finally fell of after she made it to town. Of course she said she didn't feel a thing.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

When operating a vehicle especially for a driver that is new to cars. they should be able to change a tire.
Make sure you don't over torque the lug nuts as if you do you will warp the disc brake rotor and the car will shimmy when you apply the brakes then.
Never use the brakes during a down hill trip or down the mountain trip.
My son was moving to Phoenix AZ we left flagstaff AZ to go down to Phoenix.
Once there his wife said to me there must be something wrong with the brakes on the truck and trailer. as the brake lights never went on all the way down the mountain. I said yah probably not I never used the brakes. They get hot and you loose them and you will have no control.
I just use the lower gears to make it down.
Avoid using brakes on ice and snow, you will wreck if you do.
Sometimes you can select Neutral to gain control of a vehicle in a slippery situation. It will take the drivers off the wheels and that reduces spinning. Never use cruise control in a snow/ice and or Rain storm.
Drive on the high sides of the road if there are groves in the road that water puddles in.
Stay safe and teach the new drivers how to look and fix the little things that can happen on the road. My father never let me drive until I could change a tire. Also check fluid levels in the car as well.