Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Front Seat Folding Latch Broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Front Seat Folding Latch Broken

I just bought a 2000 Monte Carlo SS after previously having an 02 SS. By now I'm already accustomed to the typical operation of the lever on the back of both the driver side and passenger side seat to fold them down. I noticed that the 2000 seat release is a sliding tab, while the 02 has a lever that was built flush into the seat. My problem is that neither levers on the passenger or driver seat do anything, both seats an just be pulled forward, which can't be too safe. If I fold the seat forward then drop it back a few times it will lock, only to be released again with very little force. Does anyone know if this is a typical issue, or if there is any way to fix this? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM

It's a typical issue. The driver's seat on my 96 never locked. Thankfully I was only ever in one fender bender, so it wasn't a safety issue.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the same problem with one of my 2000 SS's so I'm pretty sure it typical. I've never bothered to repair it, but I'm pretty sure the problem is a broken cable that is connected to the lever in the seat back and the latch. Unfortunately, the part is discontinued. They are still available for '06 & '07's but they're different and not sure if they could be modified. I suggest harvesting one from a junk yard car. That way you'll learn the removal process without turning your car into a guinea pig.
If you do this please let us know what you did so we all learn.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
I have the same problem with one of my 2000 SS's so I'm pretty sure it typical. I've never bothered to repair it, but I'm pretty sure the problem is a broken cable that is connected to the lever in the seat back and the latch. Unfortunately, the part is discontinued. They are still available for '06 & '07's but they're different and not sure if they could be modified. I suggest harvesting one from a junk yard car. That way you'll learn the removal process without turning your car into a guinea pig.
If you do this please let us know what you did so we all learn.
Yes I will definitely look into it. If I do I will post pictures on this thread, thanks!