Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Front Driver's-Side Coak Noise (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Front Driver's-Side Coak Noise (VIDEO)

Crunk, Croak, Almost a knock noise is coming from my 2001 Monte Carlo SS front drivers side... somewhere, sounds like the engine bay near the firewall. This happens when I switch from Drive-Neutral-Reverse, or coming from park, accelerating will also create the noise.

I've bounced on the car to see if it's suspension and I cannot get it to reproduce.

I had my girlfriend in the car shifting back and forth from Drive-Neutral-Reverse-Neutral-Drive over and over while Im in the engine bay trying to find it. It's hard to hear because of the engine running but I cannot find it (yes, I used a stethoscope when i got desperate).

Anyone else get this?

I have a quick video but note that it really sounds like a knock in the video. It sounds more like a croak in real life. The video will 'show' the noise at 0m:12sec:50ms, 2 back to back at 0m:16sec:50ms, 0m:24sec:00ms, 0m:25sec:50ms, 0m:27sec:50ms, 0m:29sec:00ms, 2 @ 0m:30sec:00ms

Now that you've heard them, when I accelerate from stop from being in park or backing out of a parking spot, I get 4 or 5 croaks back to back like the 2 back to back in the video.

Here is the video

Last edited by Shandley; 10-02-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member

Tranny mount.

Edit: I lied. It's still makin the noise.

Last edited by Shandley; 10-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM

I have the same sort of a crack do you feel it in the steering column if so could it be the steering column or a ball joint or cv joint

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

How's your upper strut bearing ?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member

There's a bearing on the upper strut??

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by boggie
I have the same sort of a crack do you feel it in the steering column if so could it be the steering column or a ball joint or cv joint

I had the croak in the steering column. A hefty spray of Lithium white into the boot from inside the car made that one go away.

No, this one is very likely something to do with the forward and reverse motion of the engine and transmission. I jumped up and down on the car and could not make the suspension say a word.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM

I have heard newer w-bodies (2010+) make a similar noise when the cradle was moving. Check to make sure all the cradle bolts are tight.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shandley
There's a bearing on the upper strut??

MonroeŽ Strut-MateŽ mounting kits are direct fit replacements designed to complement the ride control characteristics of Monroe struts. In addition, our full line will provide you with late model original equipment coverage.

When doing strut replacements, it is important to do the complete job. This means not only replacing the struts but also inspecting and replacing worn strut mounts. Remember, worn strut mounts can adversely affect a vehicle's safety and handling.

Not only are strut mounts a necessary component of the suspension system, they consist of rubber to metal bonded parts that wear out over time as well. Worn bearings may also cause noise, steering binding, vibration and vehicle pull.

The fronts are symetrical, and the rear plates are left and right specific.

Replace your worn strut top plates with brand new ones. Front plates are a complete assembly and include the bearing and rubber pad.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM

If your car isn't moving at all when you hear it I wouldn't suspect the suspension to be the cause.

Check all your motor mounts. I mean I wouldn't say that is the cause for sure but since shifting causes the motor to rock a little I would check them out and rule that out of the equation right off.

Yeah I know you said it was near the firewall but the engine is anchored to the car and where the sound happens can actually be a ways from where the problem is. Just a suggestion anyhow.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member

Not to absolutely bring this out from the grave buuuuut... I found the noise to be caused by the sub frame right at the connections in the back (mounting bolt areas). I saw a service bulletin for shims to be installed but I cannot find the parts. GM doesn't know what I am talking about but the service bulletin is pretty clear. None the less, I need part number: 10306243

Any ideas where I can get that?Google turned up very little.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Front Driver's-Side Coak Noise (VIDEO)