Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Fog Lights ? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/fog-lights-49990/)

red04montels 08-13-2014 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CROUZERSNAKE (Post 626477)
Hmmmm SS bumper huh ?
I'll take it ! Haha
Then I guess as long as the lights are good I just need to wire them and install a switch.

I am wondering if those fog lights will look relevent compared to the new lightbulb technology that has been developed since 2002, like LED and what not ?
I will eventually get either new headlights with LED lights or just buy ultra bright white bulbs.
Sylvaniastar ultra white were what I had on my other car and they looked really good.

You can get LEDs in an 880 bulb. A lot of cars are still running halogens in the fog lights, so there isn't really an upgrade there.

The SS and LS bumpers are identical, just different pieces in the fog light area.

DCMoose48 08-13-2014 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by red04montels (Post 626472)
As far as the foglights go, it sounds like they may have been placed there without wiring. They DID NOT come stock on your car. What I'm thinking may have happened is there was an accident and the bumper was replaced with a bumper from an SS car.

I second this. I was rearended and had my back bumper cracked and the only usable silver one the local junkyard had has the sport trim (mine doesn't have it) so that's probably what it is.

red04montels 08-13-2014 02:17 PM

It looks like you have the LS trim on the bottom of your bumper. I wonder if the 'grilles' that were originally there got poked out and someone just decided to replace them with foglights as the grilles weren't replaceable.

CROUZERSNAKE 08-13-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by red04montels (Post 626483)
It looks like you have the LS trim on the bottom of your bumper. I wonder if the 'grilles' that were originally there got poked out and someone just decided to replace them with foglights as the grilles weren't replaceable.

Either way it makes it a bit easier on me me as now I dont have to buy the light but just the wiring and maybe new bulbs.

red04montels 08-13-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by CROUZERSNAKE (Post 626484)
Either way it makes it a bit easier on me me as now I dont have to buy the light but just the wiring and maybe new bulbs.

Honestly, the housings and brackets are a huge pain to find, so it really does make it easier on you.

I just bought new pigtales for the bulbs and wired them into a standard rocker switch with an inline fuse. No issues in the last 3 years.

CROUZERSNAKE 08-13-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by red04montels (Post 626485)
Honestly, the housings and brackets are a huge pain to find, so it really does make it easier on you.

I just bought new pigtales for the bulbs and wired them into a standard rocker switch with an inline fuse. No issues in the last 3 years.

I have a bit of an unfair advantage actually. .. I work at a dealership (it may be Ford but dont judge) so once I do the homework I can get service to do whatever I need for either free or a great price.

red04montels 08-13-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CROUZERSNAKE (Post 626486)
I have a bit of an unfair advantage actually. .. I work at a dealership (it may be Ford but dont judge) so once I do the homework I can get service to do whatever I need for either free or a great price.

It honestly probably won't be all that worth it. You are going to need to run a custom switch and wiring setup. The stock switch wouldn't work, I tried different wiring schemes and the BCM is probably just more than you'd want to even try to get into.

crazyzach722 08-13-2014 03:52 PM

You can always put hids or LEDs in those fog lights. They would look better with keeping them stock. Just wire a switch were the stock one is. I have hids in mine and they work fine. Mine you can't tell I even have fogs since mine are blacked out.

red04montels 08-13-2014 03:53 PM

You have to be careful with HIDs in the fogs as well. I wouldn't go over 35w or you risk melting the housing.

crazyzach722 08-13-2014 04:31 PM

I agree with Mitch on that. I only have 35 watt and have had no issues yet. Hahaha