Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): fast idle 3.5L v6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default fast idle 3.5L v6

Hi all,

I pulled the throttle body off my engine and cleaned it. It was really bad, and the engine not running well at all. especially in traffic when i was creeping along it would have very erratic idle. Well, once i pulled it and cleaned it up it runs much better now! I cleaned the mass air flow sensor also. Of course, used the correct cleaning fluid on both parts.

The problem I am facing is that the idle seems to run too fast. Even when the car was new I wasn't seeing this fast. I'd say when I creep along my street, full of kids I'm over 1000, maybe up to 1500 and the speed tends to increase as well. I'm constantly tapping the brake to slow down.

What are my options for adjusting the idle?

thanks
John

Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by montecarlo48178
Hi all,

I pulled the throttle body off my engine and cleaned it. It was really bad, and the engine not running well at all. especially in traffic when i was creeping along it would have very erratic idle. Well, once i pulled it and cleaned it up it runs much better now! I cleaned the mass air flow sensor also. Of course, used the correct cleaning fluid on both parts.

The problem I am facing is that the idle seems to run too fast. Even when the car was new I wasn't seeing this fast. I'd say when I creep along my street, full of kids I'm over 1000, maybe up to 1500 and the speed tends to increase as well. I'm constantly tapping the brake to slow down.

What are my options for adjusting the idle?

thanks
John

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. The idle is set by the computer and IAC valve. Check any vacuum hoses running from the throttle body or make sure the MAF sensor is seated correctly and not leaking.