Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

False Positive or ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO, one of the best anti virus protection systems is know what you're clicking on. Prevention is the best protection.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got a reply from Nolan at Internet Brands regarding Mike's original post.

Thanks Lou,
I have the guys doing a scan and they haven’t found any traces of that name on the ad server or on the site but it may have slipped in through and ad partner and if he sees a specific advertisement on the IB sites where he is getting this alert, please send along a screenshot. It may have been a hiccup where his PC tagged one of our common items as spam and we would like to figure out more just in case it happens again.

Appreciate the heads up!

-Nolan
Assoc. Auto Community Manager | Internet Brands, Inc.
I use Norton internet security. And haven't had any problems with MCF.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lou - I have not received the warning (yet) today, but if I do I will get a screen shot and post it.

Another 'odd' thing did occur last night though. I clicked on a thread link and when I did instead of the page loading a blank screen came up with a smaller window on top of it. The window said I needed to update Adobe in order to read the page. I didn't want to click on it, so I opened Task Manager and killed IE but every time I did it would launch itself and display the same blank page with the window in top of it. I killed my internet connection then rebooted in safe mode. Several scans with various products verified my system is clean, so I know it's not my computer. I think it is originating from one of the ads on the forum(s) or the facebook sign in option. Every time it has happened the page has hung momentarily loading the dropdown menu/advertisement at the top of the page.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

lol was it "FLASH PLAYER PRO"?

If so, you're infected

Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
lol was it "FLASH PLAYER PRO"?

If so, you're infected
That was my first thought, but what are the chances of something getting by Norton, Malwarebytes, AVG, Bitdefender & Webroot? In addition, I submitted log files from those scans to a couple different anti-virus sites and was told my system is clean. If I am infected it must be by some sort of Klingon technology with cloaking capability.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just ran my spybot in safe mode...

it found something called media spot!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
That was my first thought, but what are the chances of something getting by Norton, Malwarebytes, AVG, Bitdefender & Webroot? In addition, I submitted log files from those scans to a couple different anti-virus sites and was told my system is clean. If I am infected it must be by some sort of Klingon technology with cloaking capability.
Please tell me that you don't have Norton, AVG, Bitdefender, and Webroot all installed.

Also, you'll probably need to reset your browser (which will get rid of toolbars and add-ons)

Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Please tell me that you don't have Norton, AVG, Bitdefender, and Webroot all installed.

Also, you'll probably need to reset your browser (which will get rid of toolbars and add-ons)
No, they were on the system individually with a complete cleaning between installations. One of my friends brought over his 'arsenal' as he likes to call it and we spent last evening scouring this thing and submitting log files for second opinions/verification. I'm still thinking it has something to do with the coding in one of the ads or one of them is being used as a portal to the forum. IB forums are the only ones it happens on. The flash update thing only happened once last night (on this site) and all inbound traffic was immediately halted. After that is when we ran the various scans. I don't know, other than the IB forums my system runs fantastic both on and offline so I'm not going to worry too much about it. Like I said previously, the only reason I mentioned it initially is because of the notification I got being a high alert risk. Any thoughts, ideas?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Mike, you're not talking about the ads where you get a countdown when you put your mouse overtop of the ad, are you? The ones where it counts down 3...2...1... then loads a video in the middle of the screen?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 AM

No, I'm talking about the header where the drop down menus/sign in is and the ad that appears directly below it. When that portion of the page is loading seems to be when the alert is triggered. Something else a bit odd about that section is one time it loads the Facebook sign in option is there, and other times it isn't. Other times it's there but the graphic is X'd out. It's also the same section of the page that will sometimes hang and the rest of the page won't load. It's the same pattern on the other IB forums I go to also...hangs in the same spot when pages are loading.

Quick Reply: False Positive or ???