Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Factory amp upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Factory amp upgrade?

Hey guys, I've found this forum to be tons of help during my 03 monte rebuild, but I've never asked anything, so here it goes. I've recently installed a JVC double din head unit with the pac interface and everything works like a charm. Yesterday, however, I installed new 6.5 and 6x9 boss 4way speakers. Everything went well, however I did notice that the entire system was much more quiet than before. I believe it's because of the wattage demand of the new speakers. I'd like to install a 4 way amplifier that can drive my new speakers, without having to run new wires. I've already got an amp kit installed, but I wanted to know if I could just tap into the factory amp harness to power the speakers using the existing wiring harness. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:19 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!! I do not have the answer to your question but there are so many people on the forum that will be able to help you with this.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member

So after some research, I've came up with what i believe to be a solution. This morning, I pulled the factory amp out of the trunk and looked at the speaker output connector (The larger of the two connectors). It took a while to find the correct pin-out online, but I came across this one. I made sure that the colors matched, and this should fit any 03-05 Impala/Monte amp output connector. I then noticed that this was the same connector used by the radio harness, so I set out to find a female end that I'd be able to use to tap directly into my aftermarket amp. This is what I found:
Amazon.com : Metra 70-2003 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 98-08 Harness : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 70-2003 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 98-08 Harness : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics
. I plan to change the pinout to fit, plug this in to to speaker output connector originally used by the stock amp, then just run leads from this harness to an aftermarket amp like this:
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R250X4 Prime 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R250X4 Prime 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics
. I'll be sure to post pictures of the install and hopefully i can show the results. Is there anything you guys see wrong with what I'm trying to do? If so, please tell me!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Default All finished!

My above post is not accurate!!! Do not use that wiring diagram as that is the amp input. The amp output is the black connector and the pinout can be found by searching "2003 Impala amp pinout" on google images. Anyways, after receiving all the components from Amazon, I had to wait until this past weekend to install them because of work. However, after about 4 hours, I had everything installed. I mad a few mistakes, but nothing too serious. I'll put a link to the pictures from this project. It turned out really well and I did find a way to use the factory wiring harness instead of running new speaker wire. Hope this helps anyone looking to replace their stock amp!https://plus.google.com/photos/10355...J-dyZu6o4HQiwE

Last edited by 597Ryan; 01-20-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by 597Ryan
My above post is not accurate!!! Do not use that wiring diagram as that is the amp input. The amp output is the black connector and the pinout can be found by searching "2003 Impala amp pinout" on google images. Anyways, after receiving all the components from Amazon, I had to wait until this past weekend to install them because of work. However, after about 4 hours, I had everything installed. I mad a few mistakes, but nothing too serious. I'll put a link to the pictures from this project. It turned out really well and I did find a way to use the factory wiring harness instead of running new speaker wire. Hope this helps anyone looking to replace their stock amp!https://plus.google.com/photos/10355...J-dyZu6o4HQiwE

Love what you did. Pics are awesome.
Do you mind posting a "how to" breakdown on how you did it? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AlSpaulding
Love what you did. Pics are awesome.
Do you mind posting a "how to" breakdown on how you did it? I'd greatly appreciate it.
The pictures are all before I did some cable management. I'm in the middle of some body work right now, but I'll do a breakdown soon! Glad someone found it interesting!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 597Ryan
The pictures are all before I did some cable management. I'm in the middle of some body work right now, but I'll do a breakdown soon! Glad someone found it interesting!
Please keep me posted. I'm subscribed. Great job.