Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): engine hot - turn a/c off

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Default engine hot - turn a/c off

The other day I got this notification and noticed the temp gauge was not registering. Everything seemed fine otherwise. Today I checked the oil and coolant and both were full and fine. The engine was stone cold and had not been run in days. I started the car and immediately the engine hot - turn off a/c warning came on. The temp gauge was not registering at all. I checked the cooling fans and both were running. So the engine is not hot at all and seems to be running fine. What gives? Is it ok to keep driving like this? Thanks

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thermostat.

Mine did the same - was stuck open and the safety system assumes any temp outside of the norm is a hazard and assumes to be an overheat.

Safe to drive but runs cold.

Here's the thread on the subject:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-sensor-40462/

Last edited by Barovelli; 09-26-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: found link to thread
Old 09-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check into that. I forgot to mention that I have the 3.9 engine. I would have though maybe the temp sensor was bad, never thought about the thermostat since it was a cold start and had not had time to warm up any before the message came up.