Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 12:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lilmonteZ34
That’s nice things worked out. That was a good deal. That’s comforting to know the Z34 is capable of having a healthy engine at 235k. I’ve always wonder how removing the AC lines worked with the Freon hazard.
Definitely, I just started it up today so I could mow the grass around it. Still runs quite well. I haven't done much research on the AC to be honest, but with it cooling down it definitely won't be a project this year.

I thought of how you all rarely see 5th Gen. My 5th Gen radar was on alert. Check out what I seen this morning!

Nice find! Looks like it has an RK sport lip on it too.

I’ve rectified the problem I mention that set me back. I’m back on track with getting the motor components back on.

Great to see 5th gens still getting some love and looks like performance upgrades too!

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
This thread went off track in the best way possible.

Its certainly one of the best threads / discussions we've had on here (for 5th gens anyways) in awhile!
Agreed. It's crazy to think how long most of us have been in the 5th gen world. I've had this car since I was 17. Going to be 36 later this year..

Here's a recent-ish picture of my Monte

Old 09-26-2022, 08:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking

I thought of how you all rarely see 5th Gen. My 5th Gen radar was on alert. Check out what I seen this morning!

That white one has the RKSport ground effects just like mine!

Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member

Out of all this salvage yard stuff I have managed to pickup one thing that is always getting broken on these cars.
Yep you guessed it the Console lid. I rescued one from a 5th Gen and was surprised it wasn't broken.

It was a bargain for sure and I have managed to keep it in working unbroken shape for several years now. Lol
I did find a fix for these things and I am going to work on it this winter and try and get some available for guys to fix there issues with the lid. I need to get to the test phase, Haha.
I am a bit slower now at 71 I am about half the pace of my son. Haha

Old 09-26-2022, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Cool Exhaust from a Zsport

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Man drivernumber3 your exhaust is clean!
Thank you!
The exhaust is from a Z sport edition, someone sent me a tip about it being one ebay and the guy had 3 sets left from back in the 90's and I got one for like $ + or- $80.00 less the tips and I was going to try to et it on myself but just to Old for that anymore. I did manage to cut the old stuff out and my Garage folks put the new on one for me.
Doesn't sound to bad. The oval tips made a difference, for the sound. upped the gas mileage just slightly too.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely, I just started it up today so I could mow the grass around it. Still runs quite well. I haven't done much research on the AC to be honest, but with it cooling down it definitely won't be a project this year.

When I removed the engine I left the lines in tact. I plan on looking in to it as well. The weather is changing here too. Hopefully I can wrap this project up really soon.

Nice find! Looks like it has an RK sport lip on it too.

That’s cool to know. I didn’t know the name of that particular body kit.

Great to see 5th gens still getting some love and looks like performance upgrades too!

Yes, I’m still processing shock with this project as I didn’t plan on doing this at this time.

Agreed. It's crazy to think how long most of us have been in the 5th gen world. I've had this car since I was 17. Going to be 36 later this year..

That’s all good, That’s admirable.

Here's a recent-ish picture of my Monte

Your 5th Gen still looks good. I’ve always been curious about what kind of material your hood is made of?

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-28-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Out of all this salvage yard stuff I have managed to pickup one thing that is always getting broken on these cars.
Yep you guessed it the Console lid. I rescued one from a 5th Gen and was surprised it wasn't broken.

That worked out, I experienced having a factory functional center console on my pewter 5th gen but it inevitably broke.

It was a bargain for sure and I have managed to keep it in working unbroken shape for several years now. Lol
I did find a fix for these things and I am going to work on it this winter and try and get some available for guys to fix there issues with the lid. I need to get to the test phase, Haha.
I am a bit slower now at 71 I am about half the pace of my son. Haha

You did well keeping it in functional shape after all this time. I don’t remember exactly how mine broke but the design is flawed which makes them temperamental. That would be great to see a fix for the center console lid, I look forward to seeing what you put together.

That’s cool your 71 and still making things happen.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:16 AM
15 Year Member

Your 5th Gen still looks good. I’ve always been curious aboit what kind of material your hood is made of?
Thanks man, although I did take the picture of the best looking side of the car and it's wet haha. The hood is made of fiberglass. I bought it from CarHoods.com | Custom Hoods, Monster Truck bodies, Race Bodies, Fiberglass Auto Body Parts since 1987 in 2006 or 2007... Looks like they still sell it now. Pretty sure I paid $900 for the hood and like $300 shipping. Had to dremel the latch on the hood and the actual latch assembly on the car for it to shut properly.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks man, although I did take the picture of the best looking side of the car and it's wet haha. The hood is made of fiberglass. I bought it from CarHoods.com | Custom Hoods, Monster Truck bodies, Race Bodies, Fiberglass Auto Body Parts since 1987 in 2006 or 2007... Looks like they still sell it now. Pretty sure I paid $900 for the hood and like $300 shipping. Had to dremel the latch on the hood and the actual latch assembly on the car for it to shut properly.
It’s alright about the angle. I didn’t know they where that expensive back then. The price went down some but it doesn’t say how much it would cost to ship it. I’m surprised they still sell them.
Do you think the factory hood would still work if you put it back on after the latch has been shaved?

Old 09-29-2022, 12:33 PM
15 Year Member

It’s alright about the angle. I didn’t know they where that expensive back then. The price went down some but it doesn’t say how much it would cost to ship it. I’m surprised they still sell them.
Do you think the factory hood would still work if you put it back on after the latch has been shaved?
They did freight cash-on-delivery back when I bought mine. It was the same way with the body kit. I would assume the factory hood would still latch, but the latch on the cowl hood is certainly larger so a good bit of material needs to be shaved. I can't say for sure it would work though.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Talking don't lean on it.

You did well keeping it in functional shape after all this time. I don’t remember exactly how mine broke but the design is flawed which makes them temperamental. That would be great to see a fix for the center console lid, I look forward to seeing what you put together.

That’s cool your 71 and still making things happen.
I am thinking that if you lean on the console lid a bit that is was will snap it, I found one in a Car and it had the broken off part in it yet, so I brought it home and thought JB Weld may work on that? Wrong it worked for a bit and them I reached to the other side of the seat across the console had the elbow on it and boom snapped it of again.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal