Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'll second that, those are some nice looking cars!
I appreciate your compliments. I’m grateful!

Old 09-22-2022, 11:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lilmonteZ34
Thanks for the compliment. That’s great that you still have it! I know what you mean about time. It can be a juggle making time. That’s cool you got a second 5th gen. Sorry it to hear that the rust got to it. Only if there was a better way to de ice the roads without chemicals or salt there would be more older cars on the road. That’s something how the salt from the beach can still effect cars on the road.
Of course! Yeah the 99 Z34 was too good of a deal to pass up. The guy is/was a member up here and was selling it for $1,000. IIRC it had about 215k miles on it when I bought it, now it has 235k, and a healthy engine and bunch of other decent parts. Not a bad deal overall, especially since I had no intention to drive it for so long. But the salt in the air at the beach tears cars up for sure. One of these days I'll harvest the AC from it and put it on my 96 LS.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well this is cool to get in a little bit of a conversation with some 5th Gen Monte Carlo folks.
I take mine to carshows and I usually am in the class know as ( WTF did U bring that POS 4) Lol but sometimes I win a trophy.

This year some of the people who have been getting there butts kicked in the Stock class have entered my Modified class and I get beat out because of paint.
I am working on replacing the Hood it will get a scoop and an fresh paint with some ghost flames maybe.

It used to be you had to have a minimum of 3 mods to be in Modified, these guys have maybe one.
I have about 10 that include Ground effects, Spoiler, 6th Gen wheels, trunk and hood linner, Carbon fiber trim for the burled walnut stuff, new door panels.
Stainless Steel Catback exhaust system, this came from a Zsport that a fellow had like 3 of them and I got it for 85.00, then I changed out the tips and they are now Oval shaped much like the 69,70 chevelles were.

I cannibalized 8 5th Gen MC's to replace the interior from cloth to Leather. My latest Mod was to convert the Red embroidered bowtie headrest from a 6th Gen to the 5th Gen. The will not fit the rods are spaced different so I took the rods out and replaced them with the 5th Gen ones. ( they are actually horseshoe shaped so I had to remove them. After I inserted then 5th Gen ones I shot a little spray foam insulation in it and sealed them back up.

I try to show this to the Judges with all my mods in a book but they just follow a little check list, they would walk off a cliff if they were told too. Lol
The graphic phrase on the door is always a good conversation thing and I show them all my pictures of me and Dale and they freak a bit because they can't tell who is who? Lol fun stuff.

There is always an Out house that photo bombs those Kodak moments.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:19 PM

This thread went off track in the best way possible.

Its certainly one of the best threads / discussions we've had on here (for 5th gens anyways) in awhile!

Old 09-23-2022, 04:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man drivernumber3 your exhaust is clean!

Old 09-24-2022, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Of course! Yeah the 99 Z34 was too good of a deal to pass up. The guy is/was a member up here and was selling it for $1,000. IIRC it had about 215k miles on it when I bought it, now it has 235k, and a healthy engine and bunch of other decent parts. Not a bad deal overall, especially since I had no intention to drive it for so long. But the salt in the air at the beach tears cars up for sure. One of these days I'll harvest the AC from it and put it on my 96 LS.
That’s nice things worked out. That was a good deal. That’s comforting to know the Z34 is capable of having a healthy engine at 235k. I’ve always wonder how removing the AC lines worked with the Freon hazard.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Well this is cool to get in a little bit of a conversation with some 5th Gen Monte Carlo folks.

I’m surprised yet thrilled to see this many 5th gen owners still around riding 5th gen’s. I remember you too Drivernumber3. I’ve seen your picture with Dale Earnhardt a long time ago

I take mine to carshows and I usually am in the class know as ( WTF did U bring that POS 4) Lol but sometimes I win a trophy.

Good humor lol, I would like to think that many can appreciate the great detail that you’ve put into your 5th gen.

This year some of the people who have been getting there butts kicked in the Stock class have entered my Modified class and I get beat out because of paint.

I’m sure the dynamics of some car shows has changed. I’ve only participated in one show with my pewter 5th gen. I got a generic plaque that’s advertising the car show. lol

I am working on replacing the Hood it will get a scoop and an fresh paint with some ghost flames maybe.

Those are some good idea’s.

It used to be you had to have a minimum of 3 mods to be in Modified, these guys have maybe one.
I have about 10 that include Ground effects, Spoiler, 6th Gen wheels, trunk and hood linner, Carbon fiber trim for the burled walnut stuff, new door panels.
Stainless Steel Catback exhaust system, this came from a Zsport that a fellow had like 3 of them and I got it for 85.00, then I changed out the tips and they are now Oval shaped much like the 69,70 chevelles were.

I see, that’s impressive how you’ve found memorabilia that fits your theme. It would be really cool to see you’re 5th gen photographed with a pace car at a car show.

I cannibalized 8 5th Gen MC's to replace the interior from cloth to Leather.

Scavenging for parts is one aspect I’m sure most people don’t realize it took to get your results. You really put a lot of work into your 5th gen.

My latest Mod was to convert the Red embroidered bowtie headrest from a 6th Gen to the 5th Gen.

The will not fit the rods are spaced different so I took the rods out and replaced them with the 5th Gen ones. ( they are actually horseshoe shaped so I had to remove them. After I inserted then 5th Gen ones I shot a little spray foam insulation in it and sealed them back up.

I like the way you modified the headrest with the original rods. They blend with the theme well.

I try to show this to the Judges with all my mods in a book but they just follow a little check list,

It alright, there not MONTE CARLO owners so the judges wouldn’t understand. lol

they would walk off a cliff if they were told too. Lol
The graphic phrase on the door is always a good conversation thing and I show them all my pictures of me and Dale and they freak a bit because they can't tell who is who? Lol fun stuff.

I’m sure that’s fun seeing the different reactions. lol

There is always an Out house that photo bombs those Kodak moments.

Although the out house isn’t that bad. I agree, it does seem like sometimes. It’s that one thing that distracts from the subject of the pictures.

Nice 5th Gen!

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-24-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
This thread went off track in the best way possible.

Its certainly one of the best threads / discussions we've had on here (for 5th gens anyways) in awhile!
I’m getting Amped up! I appreciate everyone chiming in and speaking out! Thank’s Everyone!

Old 09-24-2022, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Definitely not many 5th gens around... Glad to see there's still a few here and there in decent shape. It's a rare occurrence to even see a Lumina these days.
I thought of how you all rarely see 5th Gen. My 5th Gen radar was on alert. Check out what I seen this morning!

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-24-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:58 AM
10 Year Member

I’ve rectified the problem I mention that set me back. I’m back on track with getting the motor components back on.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-24-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal