Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Love the pictures but I have a kinda off topic question. Which engine stand is that? Just the cheap harbor freight one, Pitsburg brand? Hows that holding up?
Thank you, I wouldn’t call it cheap since I wasn’t planning on buying one so soon. A broke bolt in the rear heads caused me to get one. Yes it’s from harbor freight. It’s holding up well. Its sturdy even when I roll over different elevations to the garage apron and back into the garage. It’s rated for 2000lbs. I believe it’s a Pittsburg brand.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:08 PM

I have since then made a major unfortunate mistake.
Hope you don't let it get you down! I've made tons of mistakes through the years working on cars, its just part of the game working on something so complex.

From what I’ve seen within your treads. I can’t imagine your 5th gen being that slow.
Its not bad - certainly a long way from the original 160 hp 3100. Its just hard to keep up with much of anything these days. No doubt there was some quick stuff when I started out on the swap, but street cars have come such a long way since then. My monte should be 500+ wheel at this point, but unfortunately that kind of power level is basic bolt on SC/turbo kit for a LS/LT/hemi/5.0 - not to mention them adding any other mods. One of my other toys is a C6 vette, and with just headers, the smallest CSC blower they sell for it, and meth injection its making well over 600 wheel - the engine is otherwise totally stock TB to oil pan. Thats also having to go through enormous wheels + tires - 345 / 19s.

So its at the point where even if I finished up all the final power mods I had in mind for the monte, I'll still be lucky to be making literally half of what the top guys at some of these cruise ins are making. Perhaps that's why I cling to "at least its unique" so much

I’m reluctant because of the Junkyard prices. The prices for parts has increased. No more half off days on top of that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that, its been crazy the last few years! Just before we moved out of our last place, I went up to one to grab some random aluminum junk to try to practice welding on. Ive had a welder + AL spool gun for a long time, but I'd packed away the spool gun for years because I was so bad at aluminum. I figured I could either get some cheap pieces or broken stuff to practice putting it back together to try to get somewhat competent on automotive grades of aluminum.

First thing they rung up- a front cover for an engine (relatively similar to that of a 3800). No clue what car it came off of - I literally found it smashed into the rock/dirt (likely driven over by the fork lifts) with the whole water neck snapped off. They rang it up as a good part for $50. I explained to them the situation as it was clearly just scrap metal, but the best they could do was 10% off. Right... I just set the rest of the crap down on the counter and walked out.

Amazing you got headers to fit too!
That was absolutely miserable!

I originally bought the DPPs (that Germ on mymonte started a group buy for that supposedly fit the 5th gen). Yeah, that whole thing was a lie. Turns out they're just knockoff SLPs - identical in most every way except quality.

I tried to drop them in when I did my L67 swap and they didn't fit at all. I expected it with other headers, but not ones specially brought to market by a 5th gen owner to fit this car.

I ended up having to do way more work that I've seen others do to make them fit. Ive seen some people get away with just pounding in that hump we've got in the downpipe area - yeah didn't work. I literally ended up cutting through both firewall layers in that area and had to custom make a patch panel to fit from the inside (granted the hole isn't huge - softball size maybe). I also had to do a ton of massaging up by the rear collector with a hammer.

I don't know if those headers were somehow worse than usual 3800 ones (maybe DPP had them made wrong?), but luckily it was a breeze swapping up to the larger TOGs with all the room I'd made

Hopefully your able to get back into audio systems for your 5th gen.
Unfortunately its not going to happen at this point. I still really love audio in general, but now it makes near zero sense to put any money into audio for the monte. I drive it so little (and love listening to the heavy cam chop/blower whine anyways the occasions I do drive it) that it just wouldn't make sense for me.

Since the doors are already hacked up for audio stuff, I'll probably strip them back to a frame and do a light weight carbon fiber panel. Something thats still custom + attractive, but that also fits with the 'go fast' theme.

Your setup is one of the center console’s that inspired me to do mine. This is the second center console.
Wow, yours came out really nice! I really did enjoy that mod as it was so far ahead of its time back then (compared to all of the cars coming with them today).

Today all I use it for is as a backup camera (inverter and Playstation are long gone), but even for that it's nice to have.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-17-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by lilmonteZ34
Thank you, I wouldn’t call it cheap since I wasn’t planning on buying one so soon.
I meant the less expensive one they sell. Trust me, I know its not cheap and im in the same boat as you, just with a different car. However, you have the upgraded (1 ton) as you said. I ended up getting the 1/2 ton (the one I thought I saw you had) and actually found out they sell an even cheaper one thats rated for 650lbs... With only 3 wheels! That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

A little off topic but theyre switching all the models of engine stands they have and using that knowledge for leverage I was able to negotiate and get the thing for 40 dollars new, not the floor model. They were sold out of the 1 ton but before knowing that I was going to get that one for 75 dollars. Idk, maybe that could help out someone needing an engine stand.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Hope you don't let it get you down! I've made tons of mistakes through the years working on cars, its just part of the game working on something so complex.

Thanks, I’m alright with it because it’s my first time. I definitely learned from it. Thanks for sharing your relatable experience. You’re absolutely right about these type of things that come along with the territory of working on something so complex.

Its not bad - certainly a long way from the original 160 hp 3100. Its just hard to keep up with much of anything these days. No doubt there was some quick stuff when I started out on the swap, but street cars have come such a long way since then. My monte should be 500+ wheel at this point, but unfortunately that kind of power level is basic bolt on SC/turbo kit for a LS/LT/hemi/5.0 - not to mention them adding any other mods. One of my other toys is a C6 vette, and with just headers, the smallest CSC blower they sell for it, and meth injection its making well over 600 wheel - the engine is otherwise totally stock TB to oil pan. Thats also having to go through enormous wheels + tires - 345 / 19s.

So its at the point where even if I finished up all the final power mods I had in mind for the monte, I'll still be lucky to be making literally half of what the top guys at some of these cruise ins are making. Perhaps that's why I cling to "at least its unique" so much

I see what you mean in comparison. It is impressive how domestic manufacturers has shown great consideration for performance. One that’s tripped out to me is the 6,400lb Cadillac Escalade V. As this seems to be the closing of the combustions engine. It’s like some manufactures are going out with a bang. The 5th does have some unique elements that I’m fond of as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that, its been crazy the last few years! Just before we moved out of our last place, I went up to one to grab some random aluminum junk to try to practice welding on. Ive had a welder + AL spool gun for a long time, but I'd packed away the spool gun for years because I was so bad at aluminum. I figured I could either get some cheap pieces or broken stuff to practice putting it back together to try to get somewhat competent on automotive grades of aluminum.

First thing they rung up- a front cover for an engine (relatively similar to that of a 3800). No clue what car it came off of - I literally found it smashed into the rock/dirt (likely driven over by the fork lifts) with the whole water neck snapped off. They rang it up as a good part for $50. I explained to them the situation as it was clearly just scrap metal, but the best they could do was 10% off. Right... I just set the rest of the crap down on the counter and walked out.

That was absolutely miserable!

That’s a great idea to practice with scrap metal from the yard. I can imaging having your mind set on something like that. I’m sure that was disappointing. Unfortunately the yard prices makes it somewhat impractical. The intact 5th gen I mentioned in previous post that’s at the junkyard. That day I had grab a wheel off with the rim. The tire had good thread and the factory Z34 machined aluminum five spoke wasn’t well maintained. They rung it up for $100. I asked how much for them separately. The tire was $30 and the aluminum rim was $70. Although profitable for the yard. I found it to be unreasonable for a used rim so I didn’t buy it.

I originally bought the DPPs (that Germ on mymonte started a group buy for that supposedly fit the 5th gen). Yeah, that whole thing was a lie. Turns out they're just knockoff SLPs - identical in most every way except quality.

I tried to drop them in when I did my L67 swap and they didn't fit at all. I expected it with other headers, but not ones specially brought to market by a 5th gen owner to fit this car.

I ended up having to do way more work that I've seen others do to make them fit. Ive seen some people get away with just pounding in that hump we've got in the downpipe area - yeah didn't work. I literally ended up cutting through both firewall layers in that area and had to custom make a patch panel to fit from the inside (granted the hole isn't huge - softball size maybe). I also had to do a ton of massaging up by the rear collector with a hammer.

I don't know if those headers were somehow worse than usual 3800 ones (maybe DPP had them made wrong?), but luckily it was a breeze swapping up to the larger TOGs with all the room I'd made

That’s something, I recognize you’re determination. That was a lot to make those DDP’s work. Good thing it worked out in the end with the larger TOGs.

Unfortunately its not going to happen at this point. I still really love audio in general, but now it makes near zero sense to put any money into audio for the monte. I drive it so little (and love listening to the heavy cam chop/blower whine anyways the occasions I do drive it) that it just wouldn't make sense for me.

Now that you break it down. I can see that.

Since the doors are already hacked up for audio stuff, I'll probably strip them back to a frame and do a light weight carbon fiber panel. Something thats still custom + attractive, but that also fits with the 'go fast' theme.

That sounds like a cool idea.

Wow, yours came out really nice! I really did enjoy that mod as it was so far ahead of its time back then (compared to all of the cars coming with them today).

Today all I use it for is as a backup camera (inverter and Playstation are long gone), but even for that it's nice to have.
Thank you, you’re right for the time you did it it was ahead of it’s time. I did mine later around the time when reverse cam’s became more common. I installed my reverse camera in the keyhole.

Here’s pictures before the rust deteriorated the rear strut towers.​​​​​

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-20-2022 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I meant the less expensive one they sell. Trust me, I know its not cheap and im in the same boat as you, just with a different car. However, you have the upgraded (1 ton) as you said. I ended up getting the 1/2 ton (the one I thought I saw you had) and actually found out they sell an even cheaper one thats rated for 650lbs... With only 3 wheels! That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

A little off topic but theyre switching all the models of engine stands they have and using that knowledge for leverage I was able to negotiate and get the thing for 40 dollars new, not the floor model. They were sold out of the 1 ton but before knowing that I was going to get that one for 75 dollars. Idk, maybe that could help out someone needing an engine stand.
When I was searching for a engine stands I came across the three wheel kind as well. I didn’t think it would be stable enough for me changing elevations. That’s why I got the one I got. You got a good deal for your stand.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely not many 5th gens around... Glad to see there's still a few here and there in decent shape. It's a rare occurrence to even see a Lumina these days.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Definitely not many 5th gens around... Glad to see there's still a few here and there in decent shape. It's a rare occurrence to even see a Lumina these days.
I remember you’re 5th gen too Nitehawkjcb from back in in the day. I always thought your hood scoop looked cool. Do you still have your black 5th gen?

I’ve been surprised to see quite a few here still riding around in decent shape. I live in a major city not sure if it have something to do with it. I also notice them parked on private property occasionally.

Here’s some pictures of my other 5th gen’s.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-21-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, your 5th gens sure are clean! Yes, I still have it. Just need to get the time to fix some dents and repaint it. I did pick up a '99 Z34 also, but it came from the beach so a lot of rust is present. I drove it for probably 4 years before the exhaust rusted out, gas filler neck rusted out... Now it's my parts car.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:02 AM

Wow, your 5th gens sure are clean! .
I'll second that, those are some nice looking cars!

Old 09-21-2022, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member

Wow, your 5th gens sure are clean! Yes, I still have it. Just need to get the time to fix some dents and repaint it. I did pick up a '99 Z34 also, but it came from the beach so a lot of rust is present. I drove it for probably 4 years before the exhaust rusted out, gas filler neck rusted out... Now it's my parts car.
Thanks for the compliment. That’s great that you still have it! I know what you mean about time. It can be a juggle making time. That’s cool you got a second 5th gen. Sorry it to hear that the rust got to it. Only if there was a better way to de ice the roads without chemicals or salt there would be more older cars on the road. That’s something how the salt from the beach can still effect cars on the road.

Last edited by lilmonteZ34; 09-21-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Front Seal