Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine Dies Smell of Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:37 PM
1 Year Member

The mechanic is suggesting I take it to GM could be the computer, but wow I so do not want to go there!!

Old 10-19-2015, 02:53 PM
1 Year Member

Also this may sound stupid to some of ya'll, and I googled this first, but it still wasn't really clear to me.

A MAF versus a MAP. The mechanic said he has tested the MAF and it's ok. But the MAP is different, correct? Can it be tested?

Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 PM
1 Year Member

Mechanic checked the fuel regulator said it was ok. He changed the cps and it died after sitting and idling for about 40 minutes. He changel the belt too while changing the cps. He's stumped. He said GM may have a service bulletin for it and it may need reprogramming. Just an additional detail whoever owned it before did have an amp in the back so I assume he had to change the wiring to run that. I wonder if there's a loose connection from that.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mandy1700
Also this may sound stupid to some of ya'll, and I googled this first, but it still wasn't really clear to me.

A MAF versus a MAP. The mechanic said he has tested the MAF and it's ok. But the MAP is different, correct? Can it be tested?
Yes, they are different. MAF stands for mass air flow and this sensor is mounted in the throttle body or air intake tube.

MAP stands for manifold absolute pressure and measures vacuum in the intake manifold. It's mounted right over the pcv valve on the left side of the intake manifold, on the 3800 anyway. If either sensor were bad you would get a CEL and a trouble code.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 PM
1 Year Member

Ok thanks. I have no codes no lights it just dies. The lights all stay on like when you turn the key to access before starting, the power steering locks, and you have to put it in neutral or stop to crank it. Sometimes it will restart immediately but will die again. Then sometimes it takes a few seconds before it will stay running.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Fretting connection maybe the problem. Read on the link I provided. This maybe a lead to what the cause is.

ECM Diagnostics: Troubleshooting P1518 Codes

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM

Sounds electrical, or, could it be your ignition switch? I have an 02 and got the recall notice in the mail, but have never had a problem with my switch. You can go here and see if your car is included: GM Ignition Update - United States - Home

Old 10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
1 Year Member

Fortunately or unfortunately my MC is not listed for any recalls but thanks for giving me that link. I have two other GM's to check out.

I think it may be a loose ground wire as well somewhere but I wasn't sure how to go about checking that. The article helped. I've notice that if I push anything electrical like the seat or power steering the lights dim, more than I noticed in any of my other GM's and I've owned my share! Guess that will be my new approach to check all the grounds and see if I can find anything out. I will post back. If anyone else has any other ideas or tips PLEASE don't hesitate to let me know. I check this daily!!

Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 AM
1 Year Member

It just died again. It's been a few days of driving with no issues. It died when it was coasting. Rpms drop to 500 then it dies. Failed to turn over for four or five tries then started. Ran with Rpms jumping eractically then they steadied out to 500 then died again. Restarted eratic Rpms then it sat and idled fine.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by mandy1700
It just died again. It's been a few days of driving with no issues. It died when it was coasting. Rpms drop to 500 then it dies. Failed to turn over for four or five tries then started. Ran with Rpms jumping eractically then they steadied out to 500 then died again. Restarted eratic Rpms then it sat and idled fine.

Don't know for sure if you found the stuff on cleaning the connectors that was in the online article that I referenced a link to, but this could be the issue.
I can't recall if you had the cars computer checked? Also the technician that has done work for me sometimes will disconnect the battery and let it all reset?