Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Engine Acting Wierd

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 01:42 PM
1 Year Member
Default Engine Acting Wierd

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. I bought it used at 121,000 miles and it started acting weird around 125,000. The engine on start (doesnt have to be cold start) will feel like it is misfiring. After running for about 1 minute or two it runs like a top. I have a couple more weird things going on but obviously the engine is most important so I want to start with that.

Some other things I have noticed.
- Vibration under braking; not all the time and seems to do it less when I turn traction control off.
-Under very light throttle, transmission will shift rapidly up and down a gear. When I drive it hard it does not do it.
- Not a problem but my mirror has a unique design on it and it seems to get larger as the temperature goes up and smaller as the temperature goes down... any idea why my rear view mirror does this?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by doit4dale
I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. I bought it used at 121,000 miles and it started acting weird around 125,000. The engine on start (doesnt have to be cold start) will feel like it is misfiring. After running for about 1 minute or two it runs like a top. I have a couple more weird things going on but obviously the engine is most important so I want to start with that.

- Vibration under braking; not all the time and seems to do it less when I turn traction control off.
-Under very light throttle, transmission will shift rapidly up and down a gear. When I drive it hard it does not do it.
- Not a problem but my mirror has a unique design on it and it seems to get larger as the temperature goes up and smaller as the temperature goes down... any idea why my rear view mirror does this?
Vibration while braking could be warped rotors.& Your transmission could have too much or too little fluid in it. (Mine did the same)..mine is a 04 with 162,xxx miles on it

Old 01-20-2021, 09:14 AM

Misfires can be tough given they have so many possible causes. Certainly much harder when they come and go like you're seeing as you've got limited time to diagnose.

I'd plug in a scan tool and check out the cylinder misfire counts. Try to see if a single cylinder is racking them all up or if its jumping all over the place. Thatll at least get you headed in the right general direction in terms of cause.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 AM
1 Year Member

okay thanks, I am a college student and my dad is checking all fluids today while im in class so maybe we will figure something out.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 AM
1 Year Member

okay ill try this thank you

Old 01-23-2021, 07:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. I bought it used at 121,000 miles and it started acting weird around 125,000. The engine on start (doesn't have to be cold start) will feel like it is misfiring. After running for about 1 minute or two it runs like a top. *Check and replace the Air Filter, replace the fuel filter, check or Vacuum leaks then run some fuel system cleaner thru it. Also your spark plug wires could be casuing the misfire too.

Usually this is caused by someone over torquing the lug nuts, and then the rotors get warped. (You might want to purchase a Torque wrench.) This also occurs when you drive in the mountains and you ride the brakes. The rotors get hot and then they warp.

-Under very light throttle, transmission will shift rapidly up and down a gear. When I drive it hard it does not do it. You will find this information in the Owners manual but when driving the car around town where you get to about 45 miles per hour and no mor thatn 50 it is good to put the Car in Drive 2 on the selector the very first has over drive and usually that engages somewhere around 45 to 50 so the excess wear on the Trans can be coming form that.

- Not a problem but my mirror has a unique design on it and it seems to get larger as the temperature goes up and smaller as the temperature goes down... any idea why my rear view mirror does this? That you might have to provide a photo of.

Good information

Good information if your fluid is not red change it!