Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Emissions Test Ontario, Canada > Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Emissions Test Ontario, Canada > Help Please!

Kind of in a bind. I have to get an E-test done on my 06 Monte SS. According to a lot of people in Ontario the new "drive clean" program fails a lot of people and I can't access the government site about it here in Haiti.

I don't have a cat on but was going to install my Pypes hiflow cat.
Link --> Pypes Catalytic Converter - 3" Highflo Mini-Cat With Metalic Substrate

and was told (well my mom rather because she's the one in Canada right now) That she should just get a cat from parts source for the E-test....
Part source brands

Is there any validity to this claim that I should get a parts source Cat and use that over my hiflow just for the test?

Last edited by Space; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: add to get help from member's
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't read the rules for the E-Test. Do they hook your car up to a sniffer, or do they just hook it up to a computer to see if you are throwing any CELs, and do a visual test to see if you have a cat?

If it's just hooking it up to a computer, you can use whatever CAT you want and get a tune. If they are hooking you up to a sniffer, you might need to get a real CAT to lower the emissions from the tail-pipe.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member

From what I understand it only takes 5 mins now... don't know if that helps

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM

15 Year Member

Most likely they just hook it up to a computer and make sure all of the emission related sensors aren't reporting faults.

You could probably get by with a tune to delete any codes that pop up

Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Hi `Justin,
I don't know the answer to your problem & I hope that one of our member's in Canada can help/advise.

Below is what I found on my search on this subject..
* I could not open
~> Drive Clean - Ministry of the Environment - Ontario.ca

Ontario's Drive Clean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario's_Drive_Clean</CITE>
Jump to Changing standards‎: The Drive Clean program has undergone several changes since its introduction in 1999 under then Ontario Premier Mike .

ESP Global - Ontario

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">www.esp-global.com/en_US/ETP/Ontario</CITE>
Ontario. ESP provides government-certified vehicle emissions testing equipment ...Analyzer measures up to the demands of Ontario's Drive Clean program. ... are committed to helping you succeed with the Drive Clean program regulations.

I hope that you can extract some infor from above Good Luck from `Space

Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member

okay found an article on it looks like it's OBD.

Clicky---> Article

Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM

15 Year Member

That's how it is around here.

Further, the new test checks the status of the self-tests, also known as monitors. If the monitor self-tests haven’t been successfully completed, a Drive Clean fail will ensue. Erasing the on-board computer memory with a scan tool or by disconnecting the battery will clear all the monitors and again yield an automatic Drive Clean failure.
Most people think they can just clear a code and then go for the test, but you still fail. You need to get the PCM to NEVER display that code and then you pass each time

Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member

So to the original question should I get an $80 cat. from part source pay to get it install or install the High flow, it has the 02 bung from what I understand... shouldn't throw any codes right?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Hey man don't know how it is in Windsor but over here in oshawa I pass no problems they do the computer hook up my tune passes with flying colours and a visual on the underside!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM

If you don't know someone or you can't do the pcm yourself maybe go with the parts source cat to completely avoid the problem but I believe even with the high flow they won't say anything man

Quick Reply: Emissions Test Ontario, Canada > Help Please!