Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Emergency Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 05:32 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Emergency Flashers

Hello all,

The emergency flashers have stopped working on the driver side of my 2003 Monte Carlo it’s the 3.8 motor if that matters. Anyone have any suggestions?

It does have a lot of miles 194,400.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do the bulbs work? Turn signals work? Most of that is controlled by the flasher module (aka, the hazard switch). Usually the turn signal fails but the 4-way hazards work.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:20 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Do the bulbs work? Turn signals work? Most of that is controlled by the flasher module (aka, the hazard switch). Usually the turn signal fails but the 4-way hazards work.
when you say hazard switch are you taking about the button on the dash or the turning signal lever on the steering wheel?

Old 03-05-2022, 11:22 AM

10 Year Member

It's the button on the dash in these cars. The lever on the steering wheel is referred to as a "multi-function switch".

I mod flasher modules to stop hyper flashing (handy for switching turn signals to LEDs). Here is a video where I compare a few different modules to show that they are the same (and shows the part I mentioned):

Old 03-05-2022, 12:08 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It's the button on the dash in these cars. The lever on the steering wheel is referred to as a "multi-function switch".

I mod flasher modules to stop hyper flashing (handy for switching turn signals to LEDs). Here is a video where I compare a few different modules to show that they are the same (and shows the part I mentioned):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiWK2koVo8&t=50s
Do I have to take the dash trim off to remove the flasher module? I’m at best a shade tree mechanic that doesn’t have a shade tree.😊

Old 03-05-2022, 08:39 PM

10 Year Member

Sadly, to my knowledge, yes, the dash has to come out. Dealing with an Impala, you can do it without removing the dash. I have removed flashers from the Monte, Impala and Grand Am, I feel the Monte is the most annoying. I believe their are videos on YouTube on how to do it.

I am unclear, does the 4 way hazards exhibit a problem OR is it when you activate the left/driver side turn signals? If it is the turn signals, while you have the lever set to activate the signals, leave the leave like that and activate the 4-way hazards. Then, turn off the 4-way hazards. If the turn signals begin working, then you now know the problem. Sometimes activating the hazards a few times and the issue goes away. It has to do with contacts on the inside of the flasher module being dirty. I have not torn one apart to find a solution to clean them.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:06 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sadly, to my knowledge, yes, the dash has to come out. Dealing with an Impala, you can do it without removing the dash. I have removed flashers from the Monte, Impala and Grand Am, I feel the Monte is the most annoying. I believe their are videos on YouTube on how to do it.

I am unclear, does the 4 way hazards exhibit a problem OR is it when you activate the left/driver side turn signals? If it is the turn signals, while you have the lever set to activate the signals, leave the leave like that and activate the 4-way hazards. Then, turn off the 4-way hazards. If the turn signals begin working, then you now know the problem. Sometimes activating the hazards a few times and the issue goes away. It has to do with contacts on the inside of the flasher module being dirty. I have not torn one apart to find a solution to clean them.
The turn signals work fine except they are blinking fast like they would do if there was a bulb out, but the turn signals bulbs are all lit and blink. I pulled over going to work the other day and turned my flashers on, I realized then that both driver side emergency flashers don’t work. I replaced the rear bulb Friday afternoon and it didn’t make a difference. If the turn signals keep working I don’t think that I will be pulling the dash off. It’s a work car that has 194,000 miles on it. I just need everything to function properly. I drive 100 miles round trip to work. The last 1999 Monte Carlo I had with a 3.1 had 399,960 miles on her when I retired her and I never did anything but normal maintenance and replaced wear items, the motor was never opened I think that the timing gears jumped timing. I will have close to the same mileage on this one when I retire in five years.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:52 PM

10 Year Member

That is odd. I admit, I have not heard about a failed flasher module causing hyper flash (not saying it doesn't happen). I don't recall the signal bulbs enough, but I *think* some of the bulbs on the monte are dual filament bulbs. That being said, if one filament in the bulb fails, it *MIGHT* appear to work. Don't quote me, not 100% certain. I would hate to see you swap the flasher module if that was the case.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:50 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I’m not going to worry about it until or if the turn signals don’t work. Heck very few people use turn signals these days anyway so I might not worry about it if the turn signals stop working.😊

Old 03-09-2022, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Palatka
I’m not going to worry about it until or if the turn signals don’t work. Heck very few people use turn signals these days anyway so I might not worry about it if the turn signals stop working.😊
This is a Monte Carlo forum, not a BMW forum...

Quick Reply: Emergency Flashers