Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical 'non' problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Default Electrical 'non' problem

[>:] My user id is no mystery! I'm getting tired of hearing idiotic answers to a perfectly legit question! Maybe one of you can help me?
About a month ago my 2002 Monte LS wouldn't start. I had been cleaning the interior for about thirty minutes with only the radio on, but didn't expect it to drain the battery that fast. I jumped it, and it didn't happen again until two weeks ago. I had the battery tested and it was under a '9' (whatever that means), so I replaced it. I went all week with no problem, and all the sudden, it won't start without a jump. I had Tuffy run a diagnostic and they thought it might be the Body Control Module, and that the radio is drawing power constantly, but couldn't be sure. He recommended I have a Chevy dealer run a diagnostic.
I just got the call from the dealer and he had it on the tester all day and it never went over '17', and GM allows up to '50'. So basically, there is nothing wrong with my baby. Oh yeah, except it won't start!! That'll be $67.50, please!
I know how to check my oil, change a tire and jump my car- that does not mean I want to do it every time I drive! Any suggestions??

[:@] littlelady

Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Electrical 'non' problem

Hi `Tara, from Lorain, Ohio
(The Buckeye State)
and
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
Sorry to read thatyou are still having problems with your Monte.
What type of tests did your dealer do on your Monte ?
Did they check your alternator ?
I'm sorry that I can't pin point your problems just by reading
your words. : (
Please be Patience, and maybe one of our expert member's
will post their comments/solultions/ to your problem
Check back on the MCF later.
Wish you a resolve to your Monte Problem,
Good Luck,
`Space

Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Does it "Crank" and not start ... or, is it dead when it happens?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for responding! They checked the alternator first and said it was excellent at 114..... something or others! They did what they called a 'diagnostic', and said that while they were testing, nothing was pulling powerwhen it wasn't supposed to.They think the problem is intermittent and they are unable to pinpoint the problem unless it's actually happening while they test.
They also said that while it may be the Body Control Module, they can't be sure and don't want to replace it unnecessarily because it will cost about $600.
Oh, and to answer your other question-it does crank but just barely, and then nothing. I just picked it up from the dealer this evening and he said it's starting on it's own now, and just to wait and see. So far so good after a couple of stops on the way home!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Hi, Rick!
It cranks, but very reluctantly, and then after one or two tries it won't turn over anymore. I just picked it up from the dealer and they think the problem is intermittent, and it would have to occur while they're testing in order to pinpoint the problem. He said it may be the Body control Module, but at $600 installed they want to be sure, which I certainly appreciated!
I stopped a couple of times on the way home and it started fine, but I'm not very hopeful about tomorrow morning.
The alternator tested great at 114 (ma?)

Tara

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My BCM cost me $300 installed, Kool Chevy, Sturgis. MI. It also sounds like your starter is bad, and that can be intermittent, also. THAT is MY 1st guess. Been there, done that to BOTH on my '01 SS LE. Starter was about $200. Have your regular grarage do it, not the dealer. I DO NOT believe you have a BCM problem. Things wierd happen when they go out. You have a starter and a starter ONLY problem. You probably got jacked into a new battery, cause they can manipulate the testers by telling them that it requires a larger battery that what they are testing, and it will automatically fail, cause your battery can't pull as many cold cranking amps as the tester is being told it needs to. Another game parts stores have to make more sales. BEEN there, also! How many miles? How old is the car? STARTER!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Hi, Wayne!
You're right! Not only did I get jacked into a new battery, but also a diagnostic service charge from the dealer - only to tell me nothing is wrong.
It occured to me yesterday that it may be related to the remote starter I had installed two years ago, because right now it will start with the key, although reluctantly, but won't with the remote. It cranks, but can't seem to draw enough power to start. I called the dealer and he told me their diagnostic would not have detected a problem with that, but that probably is what is wrong (Now he knows the answer!). He said that the remotes often causes damage to the BCM and taking out the remote (for $170, which is $70 more than it cost in the first place!) may fix it, or I may have to replace the BCM also, for $600!
I called a guy that runs a shop near me that installs remotes and he said the remotes have absolutley nothing to do with the BCM, and it's not possible for it to be damaged because of it. The remote is wired directly to the ignition and the most likely problem is the Anti-theft bypass that was done at installation. It may need to be reprogrammed, or may have been done wrong. He will fiind the problem and fix it for me on Monday for less than I paid for the diagnostic! I hope it works!!
My baby is a 2002 LS with 76,000 miles. It's bright red with gray and black interior, very sharp! I've had it for six years with no problems (until now), and I love it so much, I will probably trade it in eventually for a '07, although I don't like the changes much. What is with that grill? It really changes the overall appearance of the front end. I'm not crazy about it!
Thanks for the info!
Tara

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Although not a Monte Carlo, my wife's car ('02 Honda Civic) had a similar problem. The Remote Starter Package I had put in her car caused an intermittent "Deadness" that wouldn't Read-Out on the Scanner.

The Battery was new and fully charged when I did some troubleshooting to shake-out the problem. And, ... that's what I did. Shake the wiring going from the Remote Unit to the Wiring Harness.

It turn-out that the "Crimp-style" connections were causing a resistance to the Ignition Circuit. The resistancne was so bad that there often wasn't enough of a signal from the Remote to the car's wiring for the circuit to complete.

I removed the "Time-saving, lazy-azz, crimps" and soldered all the connections (16 splices) and she hasn't had a problem with it since. Plus, the Remote Start works from a greater distance as a result.