Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical hell

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Electrical hell

I assume I will need to remove the majority of the dash panel to remove that exterior light switch?

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-08-2006, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Tiderfish
ORIGINAL: SpaceRider
[:@]Matt, the reason you are having all these problems
is that you've been `BAD[:@][IMG]local://upfiles/714/20B8548E55884DFCABAD17B41DFED3BA.gif[/IMG]
The forum has several great GM Tech's as members, but they aren't on
everyday. Be patience & I'm sure you will get some idea's or
answers to your many Monte problems. Good Luck
`Space
Space, how did you know I had been bad lately?
Matt, because U got 2 be BAD 2 own a `Monte Carlo
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/BBBF60E0C51B40C58155C53E1A84A94C.jpg[/IMG]
Special Note: BBengineer - Super Post & Infor -[8D]
You are an asset to our forum. Thanks
`Space

Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Wow, thanks for the in-depth reply. I will have to find out more to troubleshoot. Will the Tech II tell me if the Cat is clogged, or if the injectors are dirty? Should I just take this thing to the dealer? Or will I get comparable service at a different mechanic. (If anyone knows a good dealer or mechanic for these cars in the DC/Baltimore area, that would be helpful.

Does anyone know if there is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) online anywhere? Thanks again!

Matt|ttaM
The Tech II won't report a clogged cat or injectors unless they are bad enough to cause misfires, lean condition, or excessive knock... which would all throw a Check Engine.

The dealer has the electronic tools to do the job, most mechanics don't and will go by trial and error....

You can get the Service Manual online thru GM but it's a big bucks subscription like a dealer has.... is there something in particular you want from the service manual?

For the bad gas mileage issue... I'd do the following: First, replace the fuel filter. Second, throw a fuel pressue gauge on and make sure the FPR is doing it's job. I would then do a Sea Foam treatment to clean the top half of the motor.

I assume I will need to remove the majority of the dash panel to remove that exterior light switch?
Just the dash bezel (the front piece that covers the radio, cluster, hvac, etc)... then remove the headlight switch. It's similar to the procedure for the Impala ( http://impalahq.com/HowTo/Dash.html )

BBEngineer

Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Any idea why the Low Tire Pressure light will not turn off?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 PM

You can get the Service Manual online thru GM but it's a big bucks subscription like a dealer has.... is there something in particular you want from the service manual?

I am just wondering if anyone sells the manual or has a PDF version available. I was able to purchase one for a different car from eBay, and I was able to find an online PDF version for yet another car. I just want something better then the Hayes manual that isn't even specifically written for my model year!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:06 PM

Oh, I remembered another problem.

The parking brake does NOTHING to slow or stop the car. It still engauges and releases fine. The light also works properly. However It will not slow the car down. This can't be good for the transmission, since it is the only thing holding the car inplace.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:23 PM

Another problem I remembered:

When driving at night (with no cluster lights) The LED for the air circulation is lit. But when I press the rear defroster button, it's LED light does not illuminate, and the LED for the air circulation turns off.

This car must be straight off the Twilight Zone set. All I need is Shatner in the passenger seat saying; "There's some....thing on the wing!"

Old 11-08-2006, 07:03 PM

Oh, I remembered another problem.

The parking brake does NOTHING to slow or stop the car. It still engauges and releases fine. The light also works properly. However It will not slow the car down. This can't be good for the transmission, since it is the only thing holding the car inplace.
Wires could have disconnected or snapped. Follow the brake cable and make sure it is in good condition and connected.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM

Wow, thanks for the in-depth reply. I will have to find out more to troubleshoot. Will the Tech II tell me if the Cat is clogged, or if the injectors are dirty? Should I just take this thing to the dealer? Or will I get comparable service at a different mechanic. (If anyone knows a good dealer or mechanic for these cars in the DC/Baltimore area, that would be helpful.

Does anyone know if there is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) online anywhere? Thanks again!

Matt|ttaM
You won't find this in PDF format anywhere. Here is the link you can follow to order one for yourself: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...CSAP0A2E9S6DQ7

Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Another problem I remembered:

When driving at night (with no cluster lights) The LED for the air circulation is lit. But when I press the rear defroster button, it's LED light does not illuminate, and the LED for the air circulation turns off.

This car must be straight off the Twilight Zone set. All I need is Shatner in the passenger seat saying; "There's some....thing on the wing!"

This is related to the light switch. I don't know how, but it is. I just replaced mine because my dash lights weren't working and I found one of the terminals had actually burned up. When I replaced it, the climate control LEDs worked normally again.

Here is my thread about it:

https://montecarloforum.com/m_17440/..._/tm.htm#17440

As for it being bad for the transmission for parking the car without the e-brake set, it won't damage the transmission so I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you may have other trans issues anyway.

Quick Reply: Electrical hell