Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical gremlins

Old 11-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Default Electrical gremlins

Hi everybody, I have an '06 SS, it is all stock except stereo head unit and speakers. In the last few months I have encountered some peculiar happenings while in the car, either going down the road or sitting still in traffic. All of a sudden the cruise control will disengage, the doors will unlock and lock, chimes will sound 3 times and engine rpm will drop and come back. All of this happens in less than one second. The cruise control cannot be reset for about 10 minutes or 10 miles if on the freeway unless I brake then set the cruise control. The Chevy dealer has scanned it and say there is a drop of communication at the computer, but no idea why. I can't afford to pay $135.00 an hour to have them troubleshoot it all day. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Other than this the car has been fantastic. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM

maybe a bad or loose ground connection.... make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. as well

if you have more than 100k miles the ignition switch may also be suspect.

Last edited by sharpeezss; 11-15-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Default Electrical gremlins

Thank you Dale. One other item I forgot to mention, the dic will have one of two different messages come up as this happens. "Service brake assist" or "service traction control". I don't know if this helps anybody. Thank you again.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:36 AM

Agree with above.

Do you have a DMM? They are always useful. I had an electric issue with my 04 Grand Prix - When connected to a live data scan tool, communication would be lost to the instrument cluster and DIC. I found a random aftermarket module installed. I forgot about it until I was cleaning my closet yesterday in fact. It seems like it was one of those "HP" or "increased fuel mileage" gadgets. It have a loose wire and would connect/disconnect to another area and was causing problems.

I bought the car at 10 years old so no telling what else I would find. Just a few things to consider for you.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with the loose connection. Possabky the ground under you computer. That could cause some really weird and inconsistent issues like what you describe. I would also have you code read. It you haven't already. The Check traction control and abs are indicators that you may have a bad hub causing a slight wabble this causing the possible loose ground to connect/disconnect.

Search this Thread