Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

EGR Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
1 Year Member
Default EGR Valve Replacement

Has anyone replaced their EGR Valve? I am planning to do it next weekend and I'm a little confused by the options offered on rockauto.com One option says it has a gasket, another option doesn't say there's a gasket but it shows one in the picture, a third option justs says EGR 2 Doors. Feeling pretty unsure over here.

Can anyone shed some light on which one I need or supply a link to one that they bought, installed, and know works well?

Thanks,
--
Radagast

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When in doubt about what Rock is listing, a phone call to their customer service would be best. I've dealt with their customer service and always got the help I needed.

The comment about "2 doors" I think is safe to ignore. That's in reference to the car and why it made it in the catalog, who knows. Amount of doors won't make a difference.

There is a gasket for the EGR. Most the time it's included. I've pulled the EGR, I've re-used the gasket (but you run the risk of leaks).

You can also buy the EGR gasket separate if need be.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I gave their phone lines a call and they were super helpful. I love that website.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM

10 Year Member

No problem. Glad they could help! RockAuto is a great source for name brand parts, reasonable/low prices! I've ordered from them a LOT over the years. It's great if you don't need the part right now.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM

I have a 97 3.1 and I had issues with the EGR. It threw the SES light (P0401) and said the valve was bad due to insufficient flow. I went to the boneyard and went through two EGRs that were guaranteed good. Turns out, the small hole in the upper intake that runs from the EGR into the main intake was full of carbon deposits. I had to run a coat hanger through it to clear the hole and chisel the carbon out. My original EGR was fine.

I would double check to make sure the EGR is truly bad. You can read resistance across the terminals as you move the plunger up and down. Part 1 -How to Test the GM EGR Valve (P0401, P0403, P0404, P0405, P1404, P1406).

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by matthewboyleZ34
Turns out, the small hole in the upper intake that runs from the EGR into the main intake was full of carbon deposits. I had to run a coat hanger through it to clear the hole and chisel the carbon out. My original EGR was fine.
I've seen that too. More with the '94-'95 3100's which had an analog EGR, but it still happens in the later 3100's and 3400's, even with a digital EGR. I actually listed that step as a maintenance item. Gunk collects in that passage right about where the throttle body is.

Radagast the White has an '02 Monte SS. That uses a 3800 and in regards to the EGR, the 3800 design is not prone to that blockage.
Not sure what issue Radagast the White has, so not sure if EGR replacement is required or not (he just requested assistance selecting a part from RockAuto).

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 AM

My '00 SS has been throwing P0404/P1404 the last couple weeks. I saw on here somewhere about cleaning the EGR. What's the best way to do that? I'm assuming I need to take it off but what should I use to clean it?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its totally worth trying to clean it first. Just soak it in throttle body cleaner. On the part counter I tell people all the time that EGR valve replacement is probably the most common misdiagnosed problem in automotive. The old diaphragm ones are easy to test by just opening the valve (while off the car) and plugging the vacuum nipple. if it stays open, the valve is fine. Its harder to check on newer electronic EGR valves. But its totally normal for them to foul and they seldom need replacement. Unfortunately, so many "mechanics" are just installers throwing parts at a car. It's the most profitable way to run a garage I guess...

Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Looking at the Haynes it doesn't look too difficult to remove. I'm no expert mechanic but I can usually figure out simple stuff. I will probably go ahead and replace the gasket since it's only a couple bucks. I don't really want to dump a lot more money into the car right now because I've had to fix several small issues that it had when I got it (biggest was the coolant elbows). Thanx for your advice.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
(he just requested assistance selecting a part from RockAuto).
Actually, his first question was:

Originally Posted by Radagast the White
Has anyone replaced their EGR Valve?
I thought my experience could help him along with the link I provided that would allow him to check his 02 EGR valve.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve Replacement