Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Door lock switch light bulb out? Here's the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Door lock switch light bulb out? Here's the fix!

This is derived from a fix I did on my Impala SS.

I discovered recently that the door lock switch (on the driver's door at least) lights up. If yours don't light,here is the fix if you are **** about lighting.

If you ever changed those small light bulbs in your Christmas tree lights.then this is just as easy!

Tools needed:
Phillips (or Torx) screwdriver
Micro flathead screwdriver
Scissors or small wire cutters

Part needed:
Radio Shack 292-1092 micro lamps (package of 2). LED sockets available,look online for Neo wedge bulb assembly.

First,use the Phillips (or Torx) screwdriver and remove the screw holding the bezel onto the door,remove from door and disconnect the plug for the power lock switch.

On the back of the switch,you will see this:
door%20lock%202%20arrow.jpg

The arrow shows the location of the socket. It is the size of a shirt button.

Use the micro screwdriver and turn it 1/4 turn left and remove.

Open your package of new bulbs (looks like this) :
door%20lock%203%20crop.jpg

Look at the next photo:
door%20lock%205%20ILLUSTRATED.jpg

Where (C) is,use the micro flathead to lift the wire up out of the channel,undo it at the groove where (C) and (B) are,then straighten at the hole (A). Do the same for the other wire.Then push up the wires to remove the old bulb (you may have to twist the old bulb slightly to assist with its removal)

Install new bulb in socket,pull snug through (A),fold one wire at (B) groove,then flip over and insert into groove (C),insert wire into channel and trim excess. Repeat for the other wire.

Reinstall socket into switch,1/4 turn to the right till it locks.Reconnect plug,then turn ignition key ON. Bulb should light up switch. Reinstall bezel into door,secure with Phillips (or Torx) screw.

You're done!

Last edited by mr markuSS; 04-30-2016 at 11:24 AM.