Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Disabling daytime running lights

Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Default Disabling daytime running lights

Does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights on a 06' SS. when i bought the car it had hid's installed. recently one of my bulbs took a dump. i got new bulbs and intalled them. when i did this on my way home one of the balast blew. so now i have brand new bulbs and i have to get an hid kit. now one reason it blew was because of the daytime running lights. it voids the warranty on alot of hids. so anyone know how to get around them?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Disabling daytime running lights

Is there a fuse under the hood or on the side of the dash that is for the DRLs? If there is I would just pull it out.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 PM

there are two drl fuses. i removed both of them and tried it. they were still on. then i tried with one in and one out, and the other in and the other out. so they dont do anything.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

how about taking the bulbs out lol

Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 AM

seriously.. id like to know too. I have a 2000 SS and wondering how most of you guys have done it?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Just a little diddley.
You getting a discount on insurance premiums for such?
Make sure to tell your agent you no longer have DRL's.
I've seen personally some claims that have been adjusted lower because someone had removed a discounted feature and the insurance company deemed this could have lessened the damages had it been in place.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: inssanity21

Does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights on a 06' SS. when i bought the car it had hid's installed. recently one of my bulbs took a dump. i got new bulbs and intalled them. when i did this on my way home one of the balast blew. so now i have brand new bulbs and i have to get an hid kit. now one reason it blew was because of the daytime running lights. it voids the warranty on alot of hids. so anyone know how to get around them?
As far as I know, this is the only way to do it safely. Im at work, so I had to post the first I saw. A little more research will find one compatible for an 06.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 PM

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impala/store.htm

Yes. It does say Impala, but it's the Monte carlo part of his website. I believe the same works for either car.

This will handle the drl's.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 PM

ok that website is semi useful. i am looking at the years of the vehicles that its useful for. they are all for 00-05. has someone used it one the 06 or 07? i would see the plugs being the issue. alot of times when a new "version" of the same vehicle comes out the plugs are often changed. working in a body shop i often have to disconnect them. i noticed that between the 97 and an 01 alot of the plugs are different seeing as how i have taken both apart in the front end. so i think i would run into problems there unless it has been done.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 PM

I have an 02 ls. I went to hobby lobby and bought a sheet of self adhesive black felt paper. cut out a small piece just big enough to cover the light sensor on top of the dash. car now thinks it is night time all the time. use the light switch and pull out to the parking light setting and drl will be off and parks and tails will be on.you need to pull switch out after you shift into gear for some reason. the black felt paper is hardly noticable and cost a dollar a sheet. you just need to get used to pulling the switch out like the older cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling daytime running lights