Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Coolant running out the bottom of the motor and now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 AM
Default Coolant running out the bottom of the motor and now won't start

I have an 03 monte with 3.4l engine and was having some issues with slightly leaking coolant. Replaced hoses and didn't have any other trouble until subzero Temps ton over indiana and not being able to start the car is a new issue. The last time it did start, my fiance was checking out possible solutions only for me to look out the sundries Abe watch the coolant pour from the bottom of the motor, almost in line with the front of the tire close to the center. It being in the single digits or below zero has kept us from doing much but have a break in the weather and trying to minimize the possibilities before getting under it. Amy suggestions would be appreciated!!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 AM

As for the coolant leak and the sub zero temps was there enough or any anti-freeze in the system to prevent it from freezing ? Would suggest borrow/rent a coolant pressure tester from local parts store and fill the system with water and pressurize system and find leak. Yes I would use water since it will leak out anyhow since you need to repair leak. If your lucky it's just a water pump and a easy fix. As for the no start problem we would need a little more info, I would check and see if your not getting spark or fuel and go from there.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 AM

There was a small leak in a hose which was causing the need to keep adding fluid that we found before the major outpouring so yes, I had made sure to keep antifreeze in my trunk and I had read on another forum that the not starting could be caused from something not being sealed, such as possibly a freeze plug giving out. Before this, I have had next to no problems with the car, a/c didn't cause issues when the Temps were up. Issue is that I cannot find one there and believe it may be behind some other part and with no garage to keep myself out of the elements, I'm trying to find out what could be done with the least amount of parts being taken off unnecessarily.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM

The coolant leak and no start are probably 2 separate issue's . A pressure tester will help you find your coolant leak without removing any part besides the radiator cap, I would guess that it's not a frost plug unless the coolant froze and the plug popped out which would create a major leak usually out the side of the engine and would leak out as fast as you pour it in. The no start could range from a bad part or even a bad tune up due to the cold. Does the car crank over and want too start or does it just crank over ?