Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Default daytime running lights

How do i get rid of my daytime running lights on my 2000? I couldnt stand em on my truck so i got rid of em, now i want em gone on the monte.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Default RE: daytime running lights

https://montecarloforum.com/m_436/tm.htm

Check out the link above........... No one has found a sure fire way as of yet to get rid of them...

Old 08-21-2005, 03:38 AM

This is good from 2000 to 2004 Monte Carlos. Pop your hood, pull the cover off the electrical center/underhood fuse panel. Find the clips that hold the electrical center in there, and pop the electrical center out, it's kind of a pain, but it can be done. On the front of the electrical center find the DRL Relay, don't pull it out because of course, it does more than just control the Daytime Running Lights. Now on the back side of the electrical center, there's a Light Green wire with a black tracer on it that goes to the DRL Relay....yes....that's the one. Cut it and tape it, or put it in line with a switch if you want to turn them off and on.....it's up to you. Either way, when you're done, put it all back together and the DRL's are now out, and everything else should work...be sure to test everything to make sure you didn't cut the wrong wire, or accidentally pull something apart.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Magna131

This is good from 2000 to 2004 Monte Carlos. Pop your hood, pull the cover off the electrical center/underhood fuse panel. Find the clips that hold the electrical center in there, and pop the electrical center out, it's kind of a pain, but it can be done. On the front of the electrical center find the DRL Relay, don't pull it out because of course, it does more than just control the Daytime Running Lights. Now on the back side of the electrical center, there's a Light Green wire with a black tracer on it that goes to the DRL Relay....yes....that's the one. Cut it and tape it, or put it in line with a switch if you want to turn them off and on.....it's up to you. Either way, when you're done, put it all back together and the DRL's are now out, and everything else should work...be sure to test everything to make sure you didn't cut the wrong wire, or accidentally pull something apart.
Thanks for the info, but I ain't gonna be the first one to try it

Where did you get this info from? Have you done it? Yo, Mickey, when you gonna be the guinea pig and try it?

Old 08-21-2005, 04:24 AM

I did it. It's actually a mod that I got from installing wig-wags...got the info from http://www.galls.com and go to wiring diagrams and look up item# FS038. The "two orange wires" are simply connected to a relay (switch) that turns off the DRL's when the wig-wags are turned on. So if you're like me and just plain old don't like DRL's, don't hook up a switch and leave the wire cut. My Monte is a 2002 and it worked great. Good luck! The toughest part of the job was getting the electical center out...and it really wasn't all that tough.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:29 AM

I did it. It's actually a mod that I got from installing wig-wags...got the info from http://www.galls.com and go to wiring diagrams and look up item# FS038. The "two orange wires" are simply connected to a relay (switch) that turns off the DRL's when the wig-wags are turned on. So if you're like me and just plain old don't like DRL's, don't hook up a switch and leave the wire cut. My Monte is a 2002 and it worked great. Good luck! The toughest part of the job was getting the electical center out...and it really wasn't all that tough.
Sweet! Well, I feel a little better about the whole thing. Some of the guys here were tossing around all kinds of ideas/theories on getting rid of those damn DRL's so this is a godsend! Thanks.

Personally, I don't think DRL's are as effective, if at all, as preventing collisions and whatnot, but there are times when they don't bug me......like when I'm not disturbing the peace with my stereo system! So, I think I'll take your advice and wire up an inline switch so I can still keep them. I plan on getting some JDM Yellow Luminics high beam bulbs so at times I think it would look nice to have the yellow lights on.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:35 AM

That would be very cool! There's an actual association of people that don't like them....or at least want control over them (same with my automatic headlamps...I was able to find a mod to put those on a switch in my silverado) The website is http://www.lightsout.org it's got lots of mods to get rid of DRL's or auto headlamps on several vehicles. Now for my next project...trying to find the mod to keep my low beams on with my high beams!

Old 08-21-2005, 04:55 AM

That would be very cool! There's an actual association of people that don't like them....or at least want control over them (same with my automatic headlamps...I was able to find a mod to put those on a switch in my silverado) The website is http://www.lightsout.org it's got lots of mods to get rid of DRL's or auto headlamps on several vehicles. Now for my next project...trying to find the mod to keep my low beams on with my high beams!
I think so too

I am very familiar with lightout.com, they have provided alot of ammo for me in my many heated discussions on the effectiveness(or lack of) of DRL's.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 AM

i have a 03 SS

i have bypassed that damed rely a hundred diffrent ways and it still allows them to coem on So i would love to know for fact this will work, But i really dont want to go cutting and modding wires for the safty features with out hard proof that it will work.

Also if they find out that wire was cut and your in a acc. Yoiu will eat the cost of the whole thing from your ins. co. if they investage as your car came equipet with them .

but i have cured this whole thing I hooked my amp remote in to my tail lights, So not if i want to have it kick in i have to turn on the park lights so i do this and added a lttel black paint over a sensor. Looks stock and if you turn out the lights it just kicks on the head lights again.
So seems to work for me and also gives me away to shut down my amp if i dont want that much base in it. this is temporay but will work for now. till i have more proof this will work.
BUT WHEN I FIND OUT THAT SUM A BITCH IS A GONNER!!!!!!!!!!!! Ins or NOT!!!
I hate those damed things they are the one thing on this car i would rather not have.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Nice find/mod..... I think we found our electrical guru....

Quick Reply: daytime running lights