Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

daytime and headlights work but not taillights and gauge lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
1 Year Member
Default daytime and headlights work but not taillights and gauge lights

My daytime driving lights work fine but when i trn my headlights on my taillights and my dash lights stay off as if I didn't even turn on my headlights, acts like itz still daytime. But when I step on my brakes my brake lights come on so I know itz not a blown bulb or anything. I checked my fuses but they all look fine. They was doing perfectly fine few days ago.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum...

My guess is a faulty Multifunction switch.

Possibly someone else will chime in with more help.

Is there a CEL Light? (check engine light)

Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
1 Year Member

I have check engine light on but took it 2 auto zone n said itz on cause the evaporative system has fumes coming out er something like that. It may be the switch but don't know whick one, every now and the when I turn on my headlights I'd have 2 flip the high beam on n trun it back off for my low beams 2 come on. And something keep killing the battery overnight, thought it was the radio (aftermarket) so I pulled the fuse out but the battery still keeps dieing. Alternator is good runs to 14volts when the car is on. Is there anyway I can find out what is still pulling juice?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Knightwolf702
I have check engine light on but took it 2 auto zone n said itz on cause the evaporative system has fumes coming out er something like that. It may be the switch but don't know whick one, every now and the when I turn on my headlights I'd have 2 flip the high beam on n trun it back off for my low beams 2 come on. And something keep killing the battery overnight, thought it was the radio (aftermarket) so I pulled the fuse out but the battery still keeps dieing. Alternator is good runs to 14volts when the car is on. Is there anyway I can find out what is still pulling juice?
Evap code could be a leaky fuel line...its just enough to suck air into the system.. but not enough to actually smell gas leaking... (I had that issue at 1 time)

Do you have an after market alarm system? That could also be the source of the draw to kill a battery... Somewhere theres an open circuit.... Have you checked the light in the trunk? Sometimes they stay on even after you close the lid... an interior or trunk light can kill a battery over night no problem.... (They use a lot of juice and its a direct draw....)

Old school days a Battery draw would immediately makes me consider a bad solenoid on a starter.... Not sure if that happens on the "Newer" Montes but its worth a shot to get it checked out... Problem is you have to remove it to get it checked out at your local auto parts.

another thought would be...since you mentioned you have an after market stereo system in it.... Maybe the "AMP" doesn't shut of? Which will also cause a draw of juice.... Did you install it or did you have it done professionally installed? Maybe take it back to the original shop that did the install or if you did it yourself...take it to a reputable stereo shop and have them dbl ck your work.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM
1 Year Member

The radio was put in b4 I even had the car, I pulled it out n checked the wires 2 make sure there wasn't a straight line 2 the battery but all looks professionally done. Havent checked the trunk light but ill do that, it'd be nice if that was the problem. I'll probably have the starter checked. But lately noticed that when I leave my batter hooked up n the car n ignition is off I'd hear some type of ticking noise under Tue hood, hard 2 pinpoint where itz coming from though. Don't know if whatever that ticking noise is could be pulling juice