Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cruise Control not working...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
I have the solution! Well at least it was for me lol Look under the driver side dash and follow the brake pedal up until you see those 2 switches that are screwed in and up against the pedal on the other side. The bottom one with the 2 connectors is what allows you to shift out of park whenever the pedal is pressed, it's also what makes your brake lights come on. The top one is for the cruise control and it's what disengages it when the pedal is pressed. It took me forever to figure this out! I checked all the wiring, fuses and even went as far as replacing the cruise control module in the engine bay. Then I realized that the brake pedal comes into play with cruise control and how it disengages it so I checked under the dash and found the 2 switches! Haha went to the junk yard and removed both of them from a donor monte, replaced the top one first, went for a drive and just like that my CC was working once again!
Maybe yours just needs the switch replaced as well

Thank you very much for the help. Do you know if this switch is exclusive to Montes or would Impala, Grand Prix, etc be the same? Just want to keep my options open at the junkyard lol. Also, where is the cruise control module located at in the engine bay? I might need to check it also.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM

Which light doesnt come on? The light in the switch located in the steering wheel or the "CRUISE" light that comes on in the instrument cluster? If it is the "CRUISE" light in the cluster and it doesnt engage when you hit the set button in the steering wheel than your issue could be as Frank mentioned a switch by the brake pedal or an issue with the module itself if the light in the little switch (part of the steering wheel controls) doesnt come on than you could have a faulty switch (to remove this the airbag must come out). It would be more beneficial if you had a scanner or have anyone with a scanner to road test the vehicle while doing an active/functional test to engage disengage the cruise control to see if the accelerator pedal will set in the desired speed than you can determine whether it is the switch in the steering wheel thats faulty or a module and yes the module is located in the engine bay back beside the drivers side strut tower. Proper diagnosis is key to a succesful repair. Good luck.

Last edited by l0gitech87; 05-31-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ain't nobody got time for diagnosis! lol I'm jk

I'm pretty sure they're the same between the monte and impala, Not so sure with GP's
The module or whatever it may be considered as, is bolted on the driver side strut tower. You can just follow the throttle cable back to it one of the cables goes into the cabin for the pedal of course and the other to the black and aluminum module you can't miss

Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
Which light doesnt come on? The light in the switch located in the steering wheel or the "CRUISE" light that comes on in the instrument cluster? If it is the "CRUISE" light in the cluster and it doesnt engage when you hit the set button in the steering wheel than your issue could be as Frank mentioned a switch by the brake pedal or an issue with the module itself if the light in the little switch (part of the steering wheel controls) doesnt come on than you could have a faulty switch (to remove this the airbag must come out). It would be more beneficial if you had a scanner or have anyone with a scanner to road test the vehicle while doing an active/functional test to engage disengage the cruise control to see if the accelerator pedal will set in the desired speed than you can determine whether it is the switch in the steering wheel thats faulty or a module and yes the module is located in the engine bay back beside the drivers side strut tower. Proper diagnosis is key to a succesful repair. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply... The light that doesn't come on is in the switch on the steering wheel.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe I'll just start by replacing the steering wheel button first...

Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member

I replaced the switch in the steering wheel and it still doesn't work. It does the same thing and won't turn on. Frustrating to say the least...

Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member

Guess I will try the switch at the brake pedal and see if that works...

Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member

I replaced the switch at the brake pedal and that has made no difference either...

Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

I tested all of the fuses again with a light this time... All had power except the fuses labeled STR CLM (which i assume is steering column?) and PCM (CRNK). The fuses are good but there is no power going to the fuses. Maybe a bad relay???

Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM

The "STR COL" or steering control fuse is part of the backlighting circuit for the steering wheel controls. Pull the 2A fuse out and inspect it. If the blade inside the plastic is broken than it is a blown fuse. To my recollection, after I installed LED's in all the switches on my steering wheel. That fuse was blown causing no backlighting. This was NOT related to the light that commands the switch to be on or off in the cruise control circuit. If that green light does not come on chances are there is an issue with the module or the wiring in between, as it is part of that circuit. First things first, get your hands on a wiring diagram for your cruise control circuit. Second, your gonna need a DVOM to check for continuity between the wires going from the switch to the module. It would be beneficial as I stated earlier to have a technician look @ it with a scan tool to cycle the switch on/off to see if the module is getting a signal from it. There are some steps you need to take to get this done properly and as cheaply as possible. Another thing to check for is the connector going to the module. Make sure no pins are bent inside and is plugged in all the way. Good luck, you got this man.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Cruise Control not working...