Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Crossover Pipe gasket leaking AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 10:42 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Crossover Pipe gasket leaking AGAIN

hi all, I am writing to share that I have a repeat problem on a 2007 3.5FFV with the crossover pipe gaskets leaking. In 2017 I replaced these gaskets with ACDelco from the dealer after a misdiagnosis from a Firestone place saying it was my head gasket leaking. The dealership didn't even know what I was talking about when i asked for this gasket set. It was a lot of work to replace them and now it seems they are leaking again and I have already bought Felpro gaskets this time. My question to all is do you think the Felpro gaskets will hold up better? Do you recommend using RV sealant in addition to the gaskets? I assume if I needed to ever get them off again it would be difficult if I did use the RV sealant. Also any guesses as to why these gaskets would fail AGAIN!?? Any help/opinions appreciated.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:34 PM

I'm just guessing, but maybe the pipe is warped and just takes time for the gasket to fail from the difference in tolerance.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:48 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for your reply and I hope this isn't the case but it sure does make sense! I don't know how to check this if it were the case but I will be tearing into it soon. I really don't want to buy one of these crossover pipes but I will look into it.

Old 12-17-2021, 04:23 PM

I agree - Id take a look at how the flanges mate up to see whats going on. The stock gaskets work fine in thousands and thousands of these engines, so if yours is eating them, something is probably up.

Id probably try copper rtv on a good gasket in a pinch, but it really feels like something else is amiss here.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:36 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

thanks for your reply... I agree after giving it more thought somethin aint right here Probably warped but I never had over heating issues. Someone else said to use RTV also I am just concerned about scraping it off if I need to do this again. I know I should have more faith Does that stuff come off? Not feeling motivated to tear it apart again

Old 01-05-2022, 11:18 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well I replaced the crossover pipe gaskets AGAIN this time with Felpro gaskets which seem like a slightly different design. The gasket failed in exactly the same places as last time. I attached 2 pics the one on the work bench is the gasket i just pulled out and the one in my hand is the one i pulled in 2017. So what you guys think? Design flaw or warping caused this? The mating surfaces were clean (seem fine) but i don't know. If so I would need to buy a new crossover pipe. I just put it back together as is and so far no leak. If it does fail again I will replace the pipe next time.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:26 AM

I was completely on the wrong page. I saw crossover and immediately assumed exhaust crossover pipe (ie the pipe that connects the front bank of exhaust into the rear manifold / downpipe).

I've never dealt with the part you're showing.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:02 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yeah I guess I should have specified coolant crossover pipe didn't realize there was another one on the car Anyway seems fixed for now hopefully the Felpro gaskets don't fail in 5 years like the AC Delco did. Seems like a design flaw to me since it failed in exactly the same place/same way. They changed the design the next year so that tells me something. I looked into the 3.6 since I am considering trying a swap (don't know if it will fit). Its basically the same motor just lots more cams and valves on it. But I hear that one stretches chains. Maybe I need a toyota engine lol.