Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Crazy electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Crazy electrical issues

I just got an 01 monte carlo. 78k miles. The engine runs like a champ and tranny shifts great. Got some weird electrical issues though. First off the stock stereo wont play cds. Am and fm work but when i put a cd in it says check cd and spits it out.
Also some times my blinkers or hazards wont work. Then all of a sudden they will.
But weirdest of all sometimes my temperature wont read and just stays at 0. Now the car doesnt over heat and continues to run fine, but when this happens the a/c wont blow cold. As soon as the temp guage kicks on the air gets cold. And the a/c works great too. Now I have pretty good knowledge about cars and I know this sounds crazy but the two are definately linked somehow.
My first two issues i can probably figure out if i keep ****in with it. But the ac and temp guage got me ****in lost. PLEASE HELP!!! Its driving me insane. Lol lol

Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dbaker88
I just got an 01 monte carlo. 78k miles. The engine runs like a champ and tranny shifts great. Got some weird electrical issues though. First off the stock stereo wont play cds. Am and fm work but when i put a cd in it says check cd and spits it out.
Also some times my blinkers or hazards wont work. Then all of a sudden they will.
But weirdest of all sometimes my temperature wont read and just stays at 0. Now the car doesnt over heat and continues to run fine, but when this happens the a/c wont blow cold. As soon as the temp guage kicks on the air gets cold. And the a/c works great too. Now I have pretty good knowledge about cars and I know this sounds crazy but the two are definately linked somehow.
My first two issues i can probably figure out if i keep ****in with it. But the ac and temp guage got me ****in lost. PLEASE HELP!!! Its driving me insane. Lol lol
Good luck, no one seems to be on this site except for us posting problems. Tore my 01 Monte all apart ting to find out why my flashers bad. GM says take to dealer. Ha they don't know.

Last edited by scottschevy72; 10-11-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaker88
my temperature wont read and just stays at 0. Now the car doesnt over heat and continues to run fine, but when this happens the a/c wont blow cold. As soon as the temp guage kicks on the air gets cold. And the a/c works great too.
First of all, welcome to the forum!!
Not sure about your CD player spitting out your CD's but the temp gauge/air conditioning issue sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open or more likely your ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor may be going bad.
The blinkers and hazards not working sounds like you may have a multi function switch starting to go bad.
The following link may give you more informstion-->https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...t=turn+signals

Old 10-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The blinker problem is most likely a faulty hazard switch. It is the flasher unit for the turn signals. Remove the 7 or 8, 7 mm screws that hold the instrument panel in and snap it out to access and replace the hazard switch.

If you know someone with a Tech 2 scanner they can diagnose the CD player problem with it.

The A/C temp. gauge is an odd one, I'll try to do some research for you, but be patient.

Scott, none of us here are paid professionals waiting for you to post questions for us to answer. I think less than an hour and a half is a reasonable time to wait for free advice. Please stay positive.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Radio is probably a stripped gear on the eye so it won't read it corectly hence the rejection,

Blinker and hazards is likely the hazard switch,

Temple Guage/ac is likely the outside temp sensor is shot, that was the case on our old intrigue

Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

Here's an old thread that sounds very similar to your A/C temp. gauge problem:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...c-issue-25269/

Sounds like it's going into "Fail safe" mode and you may just need a new thermostat.

As P343 mentioned it could also be the MFS, but the hazard switch is easier and only $20 to replace. IMO it might be worth trying first. That was the problem with my 2000 and only found that out after replacing the MFS didn't take care of the problem. Just sayin'...I learned from my mistake....Lol

Hope this helps.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-11-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks everyone. Im gonna have to try and replace these this weekend. I was almost gonna buy a new BCM which is $150. I can replace all of these for that much. Lol. So thanks.
Im not sure if this caused any of my problems but i sartted going through the fuses and light bulbs in the car and more than half of the were wrong. well all the front lights were right but none of the rear had the correct bulb. Both fuse boxes were a disaster most were the wrong amp or were burnt with a wire to jump it. Thank god the relays were good. I replaced evrything with the righ parts and still have the same issues but I just wonder if that could have caused the hazard switch or something else to fail.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks again and ill post this weekend after replacing these

Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member

A failed hazard switch is a common problem with our Monte's. Probably just wore out.