Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cranks but doesn't start........again!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Default Cranks but doesn't start........again!

Ok, so my 04 SS/SC ran great after initial refreash after 6 years of sitting, even drove from Ohio to Hilton Head and back, and performed fantastic.

Wednesday, came out from work, and crank but no start..... towed to gm dealer, think if it's the fuel pump that was replaced initially that it would be covered under warranty. Well they said it was they fuel pump relay, the replaced it and said it was running, tech drove it and was good to go. Long story short I swung by after work, grabbed the keys, paid and took off to run errands and go get the wife. Go back up, dealer was closed, went to leave no car cranks but doesn't start.

Service is open tomorrow, anyone have any thoughts?

No codes were thrown either....

Old 06-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

joekai,
As I recall the car sat for a long time allowing the fuel in the tank to go bad. Residue from the tank may have gotten passed through.
I suspect some part of the fuel system is clogged, maybe the filter.

Last edited by plumbob; 06-16-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:08 AM

Yes it had some old gas, but I have 6-7 tanks through since with fuel system cleaner a couple times, but are you thinking the old gas could have had an affect on the filter?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Old gas turns to varnish and coats every surface of the fuel system as it passes through. Could be gunk in the bottom of the tank too.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Check your fuel pressure regulator as well. That's usually one of the big issues for the MC.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could also be an ignition issue. Ignition switch, module, or a MAF or crank sensor are all possible culprits.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:10 AM

Thank you all for the info, I just got it back. Long story short, picked it up, started ran good all the way home, and as I was waiting to pull in the driveway it stalled, went to start it, and wouldn't start right away, finally started, backed it in to driveway, and stalled again before I could put it in park. It started right up yesterday and no issues, but I have no confidence in driving this thing around the block, let alone to work or around town. I'll look into FPR first and go from there.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 PM

Ok friends, here was the issue. The positive and negative connections for the fuel pump,were jacked up, actually just the positive connection going into rectangular connection block( I don't know what else to call it) was loose and was shorting out and not always connecting/feeding power to the pump. Needless to say, the GM garage that I initially took it to never really looked into it past the fuel pump relay, which they replaced, and didn't want to put forth any effort.

I took the car to a Ford quick lane, and they found the problem with in 1 day, the GM garage had it for 3-5 days.

So now that it is running and now know the issue is fixed, I will be looking to sell the car.

Thank you all again for all your advice and input, I greatly appreciated everything.

Search this Thread