Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Mystery rad leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Mystery rad leak

been a while since i have been on here. I have some kind of mystery rad leak on the monte. Its somewhere behind the alternator and drips down somehow on power steering pump maybe and definitely down on the engine mount crosspiece. I have already done both upper and lower intake gaskets, water pump, tensioner, upgraded tensioner elbows to metal, and replaced rad hose spring clamp with stainless steel hose clamps for other unrelated issues. Work was done 6 or more months ago with no issues. Now all of a sudden it leaks filling the engine mount crosspiece creating a nice lake that spills everytime i park in garage. Cant seem to find the leak with the engine running. Seems more to be sometime after shutdown and usually takes 12-24 hrs to fill the crosspiece up. Filled some of the uv dye in the rad but it doesnt seem to be mixing with fluid completely as it only shows up so far in the coolant exp tank. Thinking amybe bad rad cap that would over psi the rad sys n force it oit somewhere. Going to change rad cap out when it arrives. Anyone had any similiar leakage in the deacribed area or pooled fluid in the eng mount crosspiece?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nothing like that ghost leak to deal with. Those metal coolant elbows have had a spotty history with their O-rings being inadequate. Perhaps it the lines to the heater core leading to the fire wall. Time for an ultra bright LED light and Dick Tracy...

Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member

You were spot on. Looked at it tonite before i got off work. Leaking out of the forward elbow of the tensioner. Eh....why is everything crap. Even checked a spare plastic one i had and the dimensions for the 2 parts of the elbows are equal so at least i didnt put it in backwards.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 AM

I'll 2nd zippy. I got 1 set that worked no problem and other the o-ring was off. Bummer man.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gtr25
You were spot on. Looked at it tonite before i got off work. Leaking out of the forward elbow of the tensioner. Eh....why is everything crap. Even checked a spare plastic one i had and the dimensions for the 2 parts of the elbows are equal so at least i didnt put it in backwards.
Least the mystery has been solved... I hear you, a person pays good money for hopefully good quality parts and still end up with low quality. Yet the CEO of the company who makes the crap still has money for a new Lear Jet to take to their house on St. Croix in the Bahamas.

Clean out the recessed area thoroughly, might have been a metal shard that ripped the O-ring or some gunk that did not let it seat. Let us know how it went...

Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Talking about coolant leak, I have a ghost leak on my 2004 SS Supercharged. Not a big leak, I have to add a few ounces every 1000 miles or so.

I can't find it, no visible leak, no coolant on the garage floor, no coolant smell inside or outside, no funny oil color.

I was thinking of trying a "Stop Leak" product sold in autoparts. Has anybody used it ? Is it any good ? What make and type would you recommend ?

Thanks guys

Old 07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member

New o ring fixed it. Wasnt cut or anything was completly melted like rtv. No probs yet or hopefully again with the elbows.

As for the respond to servicing with a few ounces every 1k personally i wouldnt worry about that. I was losing about half gallon every 2-4 weeks. As in the amount in the overflow container. As long as you get the coolant system serviced @ 100k or 5 yrs whichever first to keep gunk down and in that time replace thermostat and rad cap should have many problems unless your intakes or head gask are leaking. Napa has uv due kit. If your that worried about it id go that route, drive it around for awhile, then wait till dawn or night and look around with the uv light.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member

I also would not use the stop leak unless no other choice or untill leak gets to the point of concern. Usually thats a temp fix as most dont hold up long in my experience at least.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by panpan
Talking about coolant leak, I have a ghost leak on my 2004 SS Supercharged. Not a big leak, I have to add a few ounces every 1000 miles or so.

I can't find it, no visible leak, no coolant on the garage floor, no coolant smell inside or outside, no funny oil color.

I was thinking of trying a "Stop Leak" product sold in autoparts. Has anybody used it ? Is it any good ? What make and type would you recommend ?

Thanks guys
First, Id like to say im a firm believer in NEVER using any "stop leak" for anything.. Its more of a "gotta make it home before I replace it on the side of the highway" product..

Second, How familiar are you with these cars and what motor do you have?? Many are known to leak coolant thru the head gasket into the oil.. A big indicator is what you said "no visible leak or fluid".

Third brings me back to first then second.. If it is the dreaded head gasket issue and you end up leaking stop leak into your oil... Youre screwed..

Good luck, hopefully its just leaking somewhere you cannot see.. Post back if you can..