Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Default Cranks but doesn't start

Ok friends, new member, I explained a little of this in the new members section.

I got my dad 04 SS supercharged. 45,000 miles, but has sat for 5-6 years he was starting it once a month but the battery died, and hasn't been started since, could bee 2-3 since actually started.

So far did the relearn procedure, and it didn't start afterwards, but the security light is off now. Checked all fuses, all are good. Sprayed a little starting fluid and would start and then die. Have not checked to see if fuel rail is getting fuel.

So thoughts and questions are, possibly bad/old fuel? Is fuel pump bad, we can't hear it prime should we? Pretty certain we're getting spark since it turns over with starting fluid.

Thoughts, ideas, tricks are welcome.

Keep in mind at this point my cousin is doing this ground work as I'm 3 hours away from car. I will be heading there this coming weekend.

Thank you

Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Update: got someone with an actual computer to come over and run a scan.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0094.JPG (2.89 MB, 8 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like a bad BCM. Without communication through the serial data link the BCM, PCM and chip in the ignition lock cylinder can't compare the passcode to enable fuel delivery or ignition. You can get a new ACDelco on eBay for about $125.00, but you'll need somebody with a Tech 2 scanner to program it.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Looks like a bad BCM. Without communication through the serial data link the BCM, PCM and chip in the ignition lock cylinder can't compare the passcode to enable fuel delivery or ignition. You can get a new ACDelco on eBay for about $125.00, but you'll need somebody with a Tech 2 scanner to program it.
So arr you seeing this through the codes in the picture? With the car just sitting there for years, can this just go bad?

thank you for your input

Old 05-15-2017, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member

Yes and yes.

All codes that start with a "B" pertain to the BCM and all codes starting with a "U" pertain to communication through the serial data link. Communication is a primary function of the BCM. BCM's don't go bad often, but when they do it's not for any particular reason. With that being said, it is possible there's a bad ground somewhere in the BCM circuit, but I don't think you would have so many related codes unless the BCM was toast. BCM's don't go bad often, but when they do it's not for any particular reason. A lot has to do with environmental conditions and how it was stored. Why was it stored and where?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:57 AM

Yes and yes.

All codes that start with a "B" pertain to the BCM and all codes starting with a "U" pertain to communication through the serial data link. Communication is a primary function of the BCM. BCM's don't go bad often, but when they do it's not for any particular reason. With that being said, it is possible there's a bad ground somewhere in the BCM circuit, but I don't think you would have so many related codes unless the BCM was toast. BCM's don't go bad often, but when they do it's not for any particular reason. A lot has to do with environmental conditions and how it was stored. Why was it stored and where?
Well it has sat outside its entire life, and my dad stopped driving about 5-6 years ago.

Thank you very much for the insight.
I'm thinking for the sake of convenience I may have it towed to a dealer, as it has recalls that need to be addressed one of them being the ignition.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member

Might be best to have a professional diagnosis, but all they do for the ignition recall is replace the key ring with a small one that in theory keeps you from putting a bunch of keys on it. The weight of a lot of keys damages the lock cylinder.

Good luck, and please follow up with the solution.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Might be best to have a professional diagnosis, but all they do for the ignition recall is replace the key ring with a small one that in theory keeps you from putting a bunch of keys on it. The weight of a lot of keys damages the lock cylinder.

Good luck, and please follow up with the solution.
Thanks @plumbob, I will update as things progress and solutions are made.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Quick update. Car is at dealership and diagnosing should start tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member

Looking forward to hearing what the pro's say.