Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Crankcase Breather Tube Melted After Bigger TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Crankcase Breather Tube Melted After Bigger TB

Hey I recently installed a bigger throttle body onto my 2004 3400 monte carlo. More specifically the 65mm LX5 throttle body, along with the adapter plate from WOT-Tech's website

The bigger throttle body pushed the crankcase breather tube (not 100% sure thats the name. I think it might also be called a harness??) to rest on something hot (can't remember what its called at the time, maybe the EGR?) and it melted the tube into 2 peices.

I got a replacement from a junkyard but I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen when I put the new one on.

I hear theres a filter you can put on the rear valve cover and a blocker for the throttle body tubing but I've never been able to find it. I tried ordering the filter for the rear valve cover and what I got was enormous haha, it didn't work.

Someone on here has to have ran into the same problem as me trying to put a bigger throttle body on so if someone could give me links to buy the right parts that'd be awesome.

Also, would I need to get my car tuned again for getting rid of this tube.
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tube melt.jpg (984.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
tubemelt2.jpg (1.05 MB, 9 views)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM

I'm sure there's specific wrap for hoses to block off a lot of the engine heat so they don't melt.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My guess is that it came in contact with the EGR (probably the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the EGR). All my years working on 3100/3400 engines, never saw that.

This tube is related to the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). There are some debates on whether or not to use the factory set up vs a breather. The breather is the "filter" you are looking for. It would allow the system to vent to atmosphere. I believe most auto parts stores sell them. But, you have a problem. On the 3400, the connection for that is under the coil packs and goes into the valve cover. You would have to run a hose from that connection to a breather. OR another alternative is plug the hole on the back valve cover, and replace your oil cap with a breather.

Personally, I would keep the factory solution and find a way to stop the tube coming in contact with whatever melted it.