Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Cracked Heater Outlet Tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Default Cracked Heater Outlet Tube

I have just completed the timing belt, intake gaskets(upper & lower), then a coolant flush this last weekend. My wife drove it to work today and on her way back home she said the car started making a gurgling sound. I checked the coolant and it was out of sight low. I added some anti-freeze and saw coolant leaking from behind and inside the passenger side tire. After putting it up on jack stands, I saw that the heater outlet tube is cracked in the middle of the 90 degree turn that heads toward the driver side.
Can this be repaired by remving the elbow and splicing in a section of heater hose with clamps? Or do I have to replace the whole tube section(which looks like it'll be a b*tch)?
Why am I smiling? Because it's not coming from the engine we just put back together!
jogasz28

Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Cracked Heater Outlet Tube

After removing the splash shield covering the PS CV joint area, I now see that the tube is not cracked but rusted badly in several spots, especially at the clamp locations. It's probably from water dripping down. Anyways, the elbow has a small hole on the bottom. That's where I'm leaking right now, but the tube will probably leak in another spot in the near future.
I am wondering:
1. Is it possible to replace the complete outlet tube assembly without removing most of the engine components? The firewall connection looks to be all but inaccessible.
1. If there is a repair section available for this outlet tube?
2. If I could abandon that lower line and run a heater hose up top from the water pump to the tube up above where it crosses the firewall?
All opinions are greatly appreciated,
jogasz28

Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Cracked Heater Outlet Tube

O.k., I reviewed the factory manual and replacing the heater outlet tube is pretty involved. Even though I do HVAC, removing the refrigerant, charge and evaporator lines seems excessive. Now I'm thinking I'm going to buy the OEM heater outlet tube assembly, cut it in the middle of the horizontal firewall section, cut the existing section, and use some heater hose with clamps as a splice to connect them together.
jogasz28