Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): couple of opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default couple of opinions?

first of all, I am gonna do a trans fluid change, filter and gasket., after much research here and other places I am leaning towards the pan drop, new filter and gasket as opposed to the whole flush thing? I have a 2003 pace car replica with 98K on it. Question is how many qts of dex 6 do I need for this? next question is... I have a slight shake at 60-65 mph, new hubs in front, new sway bar with poly end links,newer brakes and rotors up front. mt tie rod end are worn, could this cause my shake??? also wondered if my ball joints could do this? looked on rock auto and they only show lower ball joints? does this car not have upper ball joints too??

Old 10-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

You didn't say anything about the tires, New, Old balanced recently or not.
You know that sound you hear when you pass a Big Truck kind of a (wap wap sound), the Car tire does that to if it is not balanced.
You may want to check that out? ( Only cause you didn't mention it, is why I suggest this as a first step)
#1. Alignment and tire balance.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

May also be your axle, well the joints inside the axle mine had a shake and that was the culprit but when you let off the gas it would stop, so I replaced both axles and it went away, after I balanced the tires and it had new pads and rotors and the lower control arms were replaced shortly before so it was the old fun times of process of elimination as the garage originally told me it was my tranny, which had just been replaced which had me questioning that as well as the shake started shortly after, but in the end it was the cv joints, but by the time you pull the axles, buy new boots and cv joints and perform the labor it was just easier to replace the axles as they come with new components.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you do the pan drop / filter replacement you will need about 14 quarts of new DEX VI fluid. I did not use it all but was pretty close. You can always return what you don't use. Get a NAPA brand filter / A/C Delco etc. You have to pull and twist to get your old filter off and out of the nipple recessed area. Same when you reinstall the new one, add some fluid to the shaft (light coat) and then twist and push somewhat forcefully to get it fully seated. Use caution when tightening your small tranny pan bolts, real easy to strip out a bolt hole. You don't need a lot of force to reach the correct torque level. If you have enough time you can always buy a drain plug kit for your pan and install that while your at it. Next time your fluid change won't be quite so sloppy. Good luck...

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 10-18-2015 at 09:54 PM.