Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: coughing SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Default coughing SS

Hi, I cant find the other thread advices so Ill try again, after extensive rebuild on my 03 SS I am still having "coughing" issue, it seems to be at low load conditions, I have replaced most everything I can think of but I did not use AC Delco TPS or MAF, but everything is relatively brand new the other gentleman that had offered advice mentioned a possible vac leak, bad cheap MAF sensor or bad TBP sensor, I am not familiar with a TBP sensor, thinking he meant TPS sensor, I have what I need to check those components (TBP?), but the hiccupping/ coughing is very intermittent and when it happens the tacho jumps also, I can have it "smoked" for the possible vac leak and put on the meter for proper input voltage and output signal but it never occurs while idling, has anyone ran into this, there is no code except when it occurs enough I get a multiple misfire code, Id appreciate any light on this and thanks to the guys who had some input, I did get it, Thanks
Dave

Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

one thing for sure is that i would always go with a Delco MAF for some reason that part is sensitive and best works by the delcos, that could be causeing a misfire, what codes is the car throwing?

Old 02-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Helmitt.
Shawn and I both suggested the MAF, and I think shawn did mean TPS.
Now that you mention the multiple misfire code it makes me ask what type of plugs you used. It's another thing the 3800 is sensitive to. ACDelco Irridium, or NGK Platinum seem to have the best results. I've heard of a lot of problems with others, especially Bosch.