Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): coughing SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Default coughing 03 SS

Greetings, I am a new member, I signed up in 03 but never used this, this is great, I think I am posting this correctly, or is this the place to NOT get repair advice, I'll look around

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
work of art.jpg (103.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Thumbs up Welcome Back

Welcome back home to your Monte Carlo Family...

Where have you been ? (What's your excuse for being absent ? (LOL)

Hope we see you more often...

Click below to make a post on your repair help! Good Luck!
Monte Carlo Repair Help - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Default coughing SS

ok I have just done a load of work on my 03 SS and I still have a very annoying issue, I've done a new motor, injectors, pressure regulator, fuel pump, plugs, plug wires, coils, ignition control mod, new maf sensor along with idle air control solenoid, throttle position sensor, air temp sensor, purge solenoid, evap canister solenoid, I've even put in a reprogrammed PCM for performance, and I STILL have a "coughing" issue under a light load, not idling and not while I'm getting on it, I am now at a loss, also when its cold it starts fine with no gas pedal given, but at operating temp, I start it, it stops/dies can take several tries and I usually have to throttle it to obtain idle, once driving it never stalls at lights or stops etc, only when I turn it off (as in errand running) then start it, I do have a K & N knock off air cleaner on it, is it possible too much air?!, no codes or anything, am I missing something, thanks for any advice.
Dave

Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Question Whose going 2 help `Dave with his tech issue ?

Hi `Dave, you sure have done a lot of work on your Monte with your updates. Sorry, your tech issues are beyond on abilities & I hope one of our expert tech member's can help you with this issue...

OK, whose going to be first to help `Dave ?

Good Luck `Dave

Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What brand MAF did you use? Can you read the gr/sec. flow through the MAF? I assume you have no codes.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Default coughing SS

there is no brand name on it, it was an Ebay purchase, I have had to replace all of the critical sensors because the duralasts and other cheaper parts just seem to not work, I don't think the one I'm using is a AC Delco, if I remember that can be a pricey part, but I can get a AC Delco from Rockauto at a decent price, do you think that sensor has a problem, all Ive done is to unplug it while it was running and yes the motor stalled I know that's primitive I do have a meter, I know I'm getting 5v to it I haven't checked the out voltage

Old 02-28-2016, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member

3800's are VERY particular about what brand of MAF's that are installed and ACDelco seems to be the only thing they like. Amazon has good prices on them also. However, the engine should not have stalled when you unplugged the MAF if there are no other problems. The MAF will tell the PCM to adjust the fuel trim up to 25% LT. Makes me wonder if you have a vacuum leak. Do you have a scan tool capable of reading fuel trim values &/or codes?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

MAF or TBP I'd guess but I'm a newbie

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by shawn parker
MAF or TBP I'd guess but I'm a newbie
Shawn, just because you're new doesn't mean you're not knowledgeable. All input is welcome here.