Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Coolant Leak, Cars Overheats, Not Thermostat?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Default Coolant Leak, Cars Overheats, Not Thermostat?

Ok lemme start from the beggining.
It started with a slow coolant leak that i never got looked at, and it became to the point were by coolant reservoir would need to be filled every 2-3 days.

The other day it over heated on me so i let it cool down and filled the radiator and overflow with coolant, drove it around the block and it still over heated.

So i bought a new thermostat and refilled the coolant, and bled the air out, I drove it about a half mile and it was overheating again.

When it overheats steam comes from the top left where the upper radiator hose meets the radiator, however it is not leaking there.

I took picture of the leak, but my question is this:
even though its leaking, its not completely draining it going around the block, so if I filled up the radiator and overflow with coolant shouldnt it cool the car down until its out of coolant again?

I think it may be the radiator leaking, but that still doesnt solve my overheating problem, i took some picture of the leak. Any help is much appreciated as my poor baby cant even make it down the street

edit* the leak is on the driver side under the radiator fans where the circle **** is that is picture, it runs up a little along the plastic fan housing above it as pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8435.jpg (67.8 KB, 124 views)
IMG_6420.jpg (86.3 KB, 130 views)
IMG_6481.jpg (54.8 KB, 140 views)
IMG_7757.jpg (63.8 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by JShovinMonteC; 06-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM

So it’s overheating but the radiator / overflow tank are still essentially full, correct? If you have plenty of coolant and it’s still overheating, you have a problem with coolant getting where it needs to go in the engine. How many miles on your radiator? Is the coolant clean looking or milky / gunky?

Can’t really tell from the pic’s where the leak is actually occurring, just that is reaching the bottom driver’s side. Any more info you can provide? Can you see any coolant oozing out of the upper or lower intake manifolds? Around the temp sensor? The drain plug? I was recently able to confirm a drain plug leak by snapping some pic’s with my digital camera (on ‘Macro’ mode for close up shots).

Lots of potential problems. Hard to diagnose without more info.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2, it does sound like you have a problem with the car. My guess is there is air in the system. When it overheats bleed the car, is air coming out and not just coolant?

My guess is that the plastic around the drain plug broke, this is probably allowing air in, and coolant out.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM

the leak is coming from that black circle/**** in the picture, thats the only place its leaking at, and it leaks a little bit on the side of the radiator.

I just got done bleeding it about 5 times, i drove about a mile and it stayed sitting halfway, which is normal from what i think. So that may have fixed the over heating. Im just not sure if that round **** is from the radiator or not

Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, has the coolant ever been flushed? I ask, as this could purely be a blockage causing this. Second, follow what Chibi said, can you bleed air out of the system?

Here's another thing I really suggest you do. Go get the loan-a-tool radiator pressure tester from the auto parts store. With the car cold, pressurize the cooling system (it can be a pound under the rating on the cap). This will allow you to SAFELY inspect for leaks without a hot engine to tend to. If you have a true leak, you will loose pressure and hopefully hear it hissing OR see it spraying.

I have another thought to what might be going on, but it's too early to suggest it (so I won't). Start with these suggestions and let us know what you find.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM

I bled it about 5 times lol. Im about to take it out for a drive because i may have fixed the over heating now i need to find the leak.
The only think i see in the area of the dripping in the picture is the radiator, theres no hoses or anything that i can see leaking

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JShovinMonteC
I bled it about 5 times
theres no hoses or anything that i can see leaking
I still suggest inspecting with the aid of a radiator pressure tester. It will pressurize the entire cooling system and greatly help in inspecting (as you can listen and place you hands on parts with out the heat of a hot engine and such).

Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM

now i looked at it again after driving for a while. it didnt over heat but it is leaking alot worse than I thought. i just had gaskets replaced about 2 months ago hopefully the shop didnt mess them up

Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JShovinMonteC
the leak is coming from that black circle/**** in the picture, thats the only place its leaking at, and it leaks a little bit on the side of the radiator.
The black round thing is just the rubber mount that the radiator rests on. The leak is coming from somewhere above and running out through there.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I still suggest inspecting with the aid of a radiator pressure tester. It will pressurize the entire cooling system and greatly help in inspecting (as you can listen and place you hands on parts with out the heat of a hot engine and such).
x2. The pressure tester Maniac mentioned helped isolate my leak (drain plug - just above the rubber mount) quickly / safely. Most auto parts stores will loan you one for about 48 hours.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM

thanks sparky, if its the drain plug im going to shoot myself. 3 days of effort for a damaged drain plug. I will wait for someone to get home so i can get a ride to the store and rent a tester and I will post back with results.

BTW, I love this site and how helpful everyone is. Thanks Guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, Cars Overheats, Not Thermostat?